Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, October 08, 2007

The Weekend Review - Getting On The Ball

We had Monday off work due to a National Holiday (Sports & Health Day).  I had originally planned to spend the weekend in the southern island of Okinawa with my friend Brianne (from MN/Korea travel buddy). I cancelled the trip, however, to stay home and get some progress made on my grad school applications. Well, the weekend has come and gone and I haven't necessarily done as much as I wanted to, but then again, the point of taking so much time to work on things is so that I can factor in work time, revisions, and breaks... even really long breaks...

So what have I been doing then, you ask? Let's start with Friday...

Let The Best Chef Win!
On Friday night, I went to a dinner party at the Irish couple's house. It was a lot of fun and the cook-off potluck was a great idea! I made my signiture salad (the chop chop with a balsamic vinegarette) and the food was absolutely amazing. I also met a girl who lives close to where I work (and makes an awesome shepard's pie) and played a new card game called Murder.
There were quite a few people at the party and the game was getting louder, so we headed to park around midnight and ended up playing the card game outside for a while. I am not sure what time everyone else headed home, but my aging self couldn't last and I decided to call it an early night.
Halloween Party
Good thing I headed home when I did, because I was alreadypretty tired when I got up on Saturday for the IFA Children's Halloween Party. Every year, the Harimacho International Friendship Association (non-profit group that arranges community events) throws a big Halloween party for about 50 children in the area (around 5-12 years old). The expats volunteer to lead games in English. This was my second year volunteering (and being a witch), but it's crazy how fun and familiar these volunteer events have become now. It probably helps knowing some of the kids better (or that they know me). I had to sneak out early to meet my discussion group, but I got some good ideas for my upcoming ESS (English Society) Halloween event!
Discussion Groups
This fall is that I actually have two adult discussion groups, both consisting of a group of women who have been meeting as a group (along with a native speaker) for 10-15 years to practice their English. I inherited both of groups from friends that had been meeting with them for years but recently left the; they have truly been a blessing. I really missed the routine of having an adult class over last year (similar to my Norwegian classes in Minneapolis), and I feel that it gives me some balance to be able to discuss things on a different level (or from a different perspective) with older women than I would with my high school students. I also think I am learning as much as they are; having older female friends is definately an asset and I found a good fit with both groups. It's interesting, motivating... and the ladies always make or bring the most amazing cakes and sweets!
It goes on: 日本語弁居します!
When the group finished at 1pm, I was still wearing my costume, but there was no time to head home... I had to get to my Japanese class. I biked back to Harimacho like a mad woman, wearing my black dress with a witches hat in hand! I've sat in on this intermediate-level class a few times now and would really like to continue if possible. My regular teacher is the intructor for this class, but it's a little higher-level, which is a good challenge for me. There are 4 others in the class: two Americans who studied here for at least a semester and took Japanese in college, on guy who has been here for almost 3 years and had studied a lot, and a girl from Vietnam who had been here 2 years. Needless to say, I'm at a disadvantage and was worried about holding others back, but so far, I can (miraculously) keep up to an acceptable degree. In addition to the upcoming JLPT (proficiency test), the language is sort of sticking better than it was before and I am gaining more of a thirst to learn.
Class was fun, but I had to leave early, however, to get to my next location: home (finally). It was for very good reasons, though: I GOT A SHOWER! Well, it's probably more accurate to say I have running hot water and a showerhead... but it's a definate step up!
Saturday night was another low-key one. I went for a run (for an hour and 40 minutes!) and stopped by Harimacho (the town over) to pick something up for a friend. Two of my girlfriends there had rented chick flicks, so I stopped to watch a few minutes and ended up staying...until 3am! Good girl time, but I don't think I got to bed until after 4.
Capt Kangaroo: Once My Favorite Show, Now My Favorite Burgers
On Sunday, I met my MN friends Brianne and Shannon (who live in Kobe and Shiga-ken, respectively) in Osaka for dinner. Shannon was in the city to take the GRE (ironically, Osaka is the testing location for all of Japan) so we decided it was a good opportunity to get together. After meeting-up at the usual Yodobashi spot, we decided to head over to Captain Kangaroo, a really great burger joint just south of Osaka Station. I guess a lot of the Kobe folks have been there a bit (big gaijin hangout), but I was really impressed by the food and prices. An entree was about ¥900, but you could get any entree and any drink for ¥1,000 during Happy Hour. It was pretty cheap!
Amnesty International (Chapter # 95)
After dinner, we all went out seperate ways and I walked a few blocks over to Blarney Stone pub for an Amnesty International* event that my friend Adela was helping plan. I ran into a few girls I know on the way there and met some more friends at the concert. The bands were actually pretty good, there was a good turnout for a good cause, and I got info for two of of the bands, who might play at our charity events over this next year. After a night of just enjoying the beer, good music and fun people, my friend and I left to catch the last train home. Unfortunately, we got the last Rapid (not Special Rapid) so I ended up having to walk home from the JR Station and not Sanyo (took me about 20 minutes vs. 5 minutes), but it was a nice night and I slept hard once I made it back.
Fin.
The Akashi Festival was Monday afternoon, but we had scattered storms all day, so I basically stayed in and finally committed some real time to the application process. I went for a run to relax and ran some errands. It was a good ending to a long weekend... and one well-spent (even without Okinawa)!

*If you're not familiar with Amnesty, it's an amazing organization that won the Novel Peace Prize in 1977 and who's primary approach to working towards peaceful resolutions is letter-writing campaigns (we were supporting group #95).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home