Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, October 01, 2007

The Weekend Review: Koromogae

I walked into work today and recognized an immediate and very blatant difference in the way people are dressed. At first I thought there might be an official event or ceremony that I forgot about, but quickly realized what brought on the wardrobe changes. Tomorrow marks the first official day of fall, so while today is the first day for fall clothing (generally suits), summer clothing is a definite no-no starting tomorrow morning. Sadly, that probably includes my flip-flops (and on a more serious level than, say, wearing white after labor day at home). That's almost as depressing as when the fall shift happened last year and my favorite sesame udon sauce disappeared off the supermarket shelves overnight (only to reappear 8 months later!). It seems funny now, but if you track back in my blog, you will see that I was earnestly troubled by the absence:)

It's Monday morning right now and the weekend went pretty well, but was fairly low-key. I feel more tired today than I have been since I got back from America, which is kind of ironic considering I really didn’t do too much and got a lot of rest.

Friday night was spent having dinner at a Hokkaido restaurant (delicious miso ramen soup and salmon salad), then did a few hours of karaoke before biking to Ouzumi with some of the guys to hang out with Lena, who was entertaining a guest from America. It was about a 30-minute cold and wet bike ride home that night, but definitely still worth it and a lot of fun!

On Saturday afternoon, I went shoe shopping with my Japanese teacher, Kelly and another foreigner named Craig. I had a really good time using Japanese (definitely don’t do that enough in my free time) and just looking around. I really can’t afford to buy much right now (literally out of space and realized when I was home that I don’t NEED anything more)... but I did get a cute pair of wooden, Japanese sandals, called geta. Jessica wore hers when I saw her in Minneapolis this summer and I was surprised by how cute and sort of exotic they looked in an American setting, when I would never wear them as normal shoes here. So, I got myself a pair, essentially to wear when I get back to America.

I spent some time hanging out with Kelly and then Clayton that afternoon, but ended the night doing something a little out of the ordinary: staying in to read and going to bed early! I am really starting to feel the fire under me with grad school applications and I really want to finish this awesome advice book before I finish my essay (which is a work in progress). So you gotta give a little to get a little (done), I suppose.

Sunday morning was meant to be my first intramural soccer practice, but it got rained out! Zannen datta ne! In the afternoon, I had a meeting for the charity committee in Sannomiya (planning a big Halloween party/fundraiser) and then went to a great Bay-area (California) gourmet burger joint called Grinders with some friends on the committee. I was with Kelly and two other girls and we stopped in a few places to do a little shopping, too, but I really wasn’t feel well and had to head home. There was a dinner party at my neighbor’s house later in the evening, but I had a phone date set with Jessica, who just started graduate school in Europe, and essentially spent the evening catching up with her. We have both been called oshaberi (talkative), yes, but I think the conversation lasted for over three hours. I definitely need to get Skype if that's ever going to happen again!

So that’s about it for the weekend! With the start of fall comes moving shrine season and the cold front (three days ago I was excited because I didn’t use my air conditioner at night, and today I woke up realizing it was time to crank up the heat). There will be more changes and happenings soon. The cold is probably a good thing, however, as it makes for better running weather. It’s something I need right now to help offset the busy schedule with applications, upcoming language proficiency test and planning charity events. Running is my meditation.

And speaking of meditation, one more big piece of news: in less than three months, Kelly and I will be meditating alright. Only it will be in an Ashram... in India!! We found a really good deal on tickets for Christmas/New Years, so I will be going to Taiwan and India for about three weeks. I was hoping to go trekking in Nepal as well (or at least fly into Kathamundu and take a helicopter ride to see Everest), but that plan doesn’t look realistic this time 'round. It’s also not possible to see all of India in one trip, either, so I am sure I will be back some day.

I have to do a lesson plan and have a few classes this morning, so I should go but it feels good to be back on the blog. Hopefully this signals I am truly in writing mode (essay time!) and I hope all is well with all of you.

One last note: I got an email this morning saying that two friends from Norwegian Camp and St. Olaf lost their father this weekend. Both siblings are in their 20s and their little brother, who might be in college now, was one of my villagers at CLV. Very kind, beautiful people. I honestly cannot even imagine what their family is going through right now and my thoughts, sympathies, and best wishes go out to them during this hard time. Please keep the Malands in your prayers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home