Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Some Observations

It's the little things that count...here's a few things I have noticed since I've been back in the US:

Vending Machines - Where are they when you just need a little can of coffee or some water? Seriously something MN should consider.

Garbage Cans - They are everywhere! It's so...convenient!

Public Restrooms - I used a public restroom in Honolulu Airport and was happy when the first open stall was a western. And then I realized... they're all westerns! They also have paper towels... I am almost ready to take the cloth out of my purse.

Smoking - The state-wide ban on smoking in public places starts this fall, but it's already in full-effect in the cities. It's nice to come home from a restaurant or night out and not smell like it. It also seems like a lot less people smoke in public here... at least compared to the people you see on the street in Japan.

Cell phones - Cheap and easy. I've been using it to call internationally... and it's almost as cheap as my landline.

Talking - Wow. Americans talk a lot and are not shy about it. I made a lot of friends on my Hawaiian adventure (on the bus, at the luau, at the hotel...you name it).

Fashion - My 'boring' clothes from Japan suddenly became really normal again. While some may raise eyebrows at certain styles in Japan, I have to give the country props for it's risks and ambition in this area. Polkadots, ruffles, stillettos and all. Also... Japan may be more obsessed with the major luxury labels (LV, Gucci, etc), but America is definately driven by consumerism. We have so much stuff... and so many stores! The Japanese are definately more simple...

Diversity - In Hawaii, I realized the 'touristy places' here would probably be considered the 'gaijin' places in Japan... but mostly because they were filled with people who were only visiting for a short time (not those living in the country for a short time - which may be years and years).

Minnesotan - I talked to some American friends from Japan on the phone tonight, and apparently, the Minnesoooota accent is slowly creeping back into my speech. I better watch it, or there are going to be about 850 kids running around Kansai, Japan talking about how much they love drinking melk and going for booooat rides:-P

Transportation - My big plans to "ride my bike everywhere" have already failed, but it's crazy how reliant we are on cars here. I wouldn't even consider taking the bus if I needed to get somewhere fast, but the train is such a reliable option in Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home