Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Change in Plans

It's only Tuesday and a lot has happened so far. So I had a minor dental emergency after going to the dentist on Monday morning. I won't go into all the details, but let's just say I unexpectantly lost a tooth and need some unforseen, minor surgery. I was pretty upset (and maybe a little dramatic) after the incident happened, which was probably not the best start to my holiday back in Minnesota. Moreso, I was worried about having the surgery done in Japan when I got back because I would have to wait several weeks to start the process and there is a language barrier with a lot of medical professionals there (something that becomes very serious when you are making permanent changes to your face and mouth).

So, I did what I could and I went into action, soliciting help and advice from family, friends (both here and abroad), coworkers and the insurance company on what to do about the surgery. It's amazing how quickly people got back to me and what they were able to help me with. And, after weighing all the options... I have decided to do the surgery tomorrow and stay in America a few days longer. It means I will have to take some of the vacation time that I was hoping to use for India this year and miss several classes at school (which I feel awful about). At the same time, I feel a lot more comfortable now that the situation is resolved and that it will be done here.

This dental business was obviously a huge surprise and has overshadowed my trip to far, but I have gotten to do a few other cool things. I finally met my best friend's boyfriend, whom I adore, and got to go for a run around my beloved Lake Calhoun (something I have been yearning for...and the weather is perfect right now). I also made a trip to the farmer's market, got my hair cut (short!), went for coffee with Jess, took a tour at a historic landmark with my mom this afternoon (Burwell House in Minnetonka), and went to a private fundraisor for Al Franken in my neighborhood this evening (met him briefly - check out his website/platform!).

I really don't feel like I have done much since I arrived at home, even though it probably doesn't sound that way from my list. I think it's mainly because there are so many people I miss and want to see, but I haven't talked to or seen most of them yet. Minnesota just feels comfortable and easy to come back to, like I am still living in Minneapolis and have all the time in the world... but I know that's not true. In a way, the surgery is both a blessing and a curse. I have lost probably 3 or 4 days to it (not to mention vacation time and the costs).... but I am lucky to have my family and friends around when this bad surprise came my way.

Japan is a good thing for me and I am happy to go back, but this trip home is making me realize how much I also have here. Anyways, I'm hitting jetleg and really need to try to get some rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home