Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Just Me and the Retired Folks - Keepin' It Cool.

I've had such a wonderful day today! Very relaxing and satisfying. It's funny, the German student I met in Hiroshima had asked me why in the world I would spend TWO YEARS in my TWENTIES in Japan (basically like it was a waste of time when I should be building a career at home - he was only here for 2 months). I can see his point and I gave him a few good reasons that I stand firmly behind, but another really big one struck me today: THIS really IS taking advantage of my 20s!
I rode my bike back and forth to school today, and then sat in on a new Japanese conversation class with my normal teacher (going to start going to class more than once a week). Afterwards, it was still pretty hot out, so I headed to the local beach and took a nap next to the ocean in the sun, with the waves lulling me to sleep. Tonight I'm just working on my taxes (blah) and writing my next article for my relationship advice column.
While I was at the beach, it struck me: So many people work so hard for so long in order to retire early... to do... well, THIS. I'm so blessed. I feel like I'm learning a LOT about the world, meeting some really amazing people, having a fabulous time (it's given that there'll be culture shock and homesickness at times, but overall it's good), getting paid to indulge in my hobby, have the time to truly position myself for the next big chapter in my life (step in my career)... and I can spend my days at the beach if I want to. Granted, I am getting to an age where it's appropriate to look at marriage, the career, kids, but you don't have to be "at home" to do that.

Anyways, I'm just in a really calm, peaceful mood right now. I will probably sound a little different when I take the big plunge into the application mode soon and am completely freaking out (and I KNOW the next few years at grad school will be intense)... but I'm pretty grateful for my current situation. Someone once told me I might appreciate Japan more and take better advantage of this experience (and extra time!!) because I had worked before; I think they were right.

Ok, off to figure out what in the world I'm going to write about for my next article. Thinking internet dating or cultural differences (how SHY Japanese boys are, for example...). I'm meeting Jane in Osaka and then heading to Kyoto for Obon (when they light up giant symbols with fire in the hills surrounding the city) tomorrow and I also have events Friday and Saturday night, so I might not be able to write again or get pictures up for a little while (might do a Vietnamese spring roll cooking class on Sunday, too....YUM). Enjoy your week(ends) in the meantime & have a lovely evening:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home