Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Hiroshima... Here I Come!

Wow, I am shocked by the amount of global press the bridge collapse in Minneapolis is getting. I used that bridge all the time; it's still surreal to me that any of this happened. Thankfully, nobody I know was hurt or injured, but the news updates my mom has been emailing me send a chill down my spine. Everytime I refresh the internet server, there seems to be a new take on the story (the headline on Japan's Yahoo Page), and Jessica told me it was even covered on the local "6 o'clock news" in Spain (actually at 2pm there... but you get the idea). It just seems like one of those things that happenes "somewhere else".

Please continue to keep your thoughts and prayers with those who were injured and the families of the victims!

It's Saturday afternoon right now and I am headed to Hiroshima in about 30 minutes for the World Conference, a peace conference on the anniversary of the A-Bomb. I was going to leave last night (Friday) or early this morning, but decided to hold out because of the weather forecast (heavy t-storms). Ironically, it turned out to be a beautiful day both here in Kobe and in Hiroshima... so I'm going to go afterall. I am travelling alone for this one, but I will be meeting up with Torbjorn and Trygve (another friend from Oslo who is visiting Tobs and part of a delegation for the conference), so it should be fun and educational. I will also see Miyajima tomorrow (famous for the floating Shinto Gate), which many people have told me is their favorite place in Japan. Plenty of pictures to come.

In the meantime, enjoy your weekends! Update to come on Monday:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home