Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Climbing Mount Fuji – 富士山

I spent the weekend in Shizuoka-ken (south of Tokyo) on a weekend quest to scale the mighty Mount Fuji, a symbol of Japan. I return happy to report we made it to the summit! I got back late last night, and my legs are sore when I go down steps today, but otherwise... I am feeling fine. And I climbed Mount Fuji!!

For starters, I've just gotta put it out there that the climb was a lot more difficult than I expected it to be. I would even venture so far as to say it was probably the biggest physical challenge I have ever faced and a huge accomplishment in my life. I did a lot of research before going and we were on a tour (with expert guides familiar with the ruff terrain leading us), so we were about as prepared as one can be. Our only mistake was not getting oxygen before going, but the trip in general was honestly very straining. In the end, however, looking down from the summit and into the volcano’s molten crater, knowing we had just spent the last 12 hours scaling the largest mountain in Japan (3,776 meters high) was incredibly emotional and gratifying. The scenery was glorious, with the bright sun creeping up from underneath a blanket of clouds, a scene depicted on old Japanese flags.

In hindsight, I would agree with the Japanese saying that goes “you are wise to climb Fuji once and a fool to climb it twice.” I would definately recommend it to others, but know it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me personally (meaning that it was amazing, but there is no way I will be doing it again). And an experience it was!

I have an insane amount of detail in my report of the account, so I am going to include the story in a separate post for those of you that are interested. In the meantime, here is some background info on Mount Fuji (taken from a sign at the base of our hike). If you ever get the chance to climb Fuji, I recommend you do... just make sure you are prepared! Cheers!

Background Info on Mt. Fuji
At a height of 3,776 meters, Mount Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan. It straddles the boundary of Shizuoka and Yamanashi Prefectures, just west of Tokyo (where it can be seen on a clear day). The mountain itself is a conic volcano, formed many thousands of years ago after repeated eruptions. The mountain assumed its current shape around ten thousand years ago. The last recorded eruption was in 1707. The volcano is officially classified as active with a low rist of eruption.
Mt.Fuji depicted in folk art and literature
Mount Fuji is first mentioned in the ancient collection of poems, “Manyoushu”; and has continued to appear frequently in Japanese literature since. The peak has also been the subject of many famous works of art, including those by Hokusai and Hiroshige.
The flora and fauna of Mt. Fuji
The fluctuating natural environment of Mt.Fuji is home to a wide variety of plants and animals, including mammals such as the Japanese serow, the Asiatic black bear, and the Asiatic dormouse; as well as birds like the Red-flanked Bluetail and the Olive-backed Pipit. The flora include the Japanese birch, the Japanese larch and cowberry, among others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home