Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Osaka Tenjin Matsuri

After the Gion Matsuri came up a bit short of my (inflated?) expectations (it was impressive, but was just less spectacular than what I had envisioned – probably a sign that I might be taking my access to these events for granted?). I am happy to report, however, that I walked out of this experience amazed, giddy and with a renewed infatuation with the culture. Sensational night!

Now Tenjin is what I call a MATSURI!!!

I originally made plans to attend the festival with Torbjorn and his French girlfriend, whom I have yet to meet. The big guy accidentally double-booked, however, so we ended up cutting our time short as he juggled social arrangements. Luckily, I had invited Kelly to join us as well, so I wasn’t on my own.

We took the train to Osaka together, meeting Tobs at the “Big Man” (a nickname for the large screen in the Osaka Hankyu Station – a popular meeting place in central Osaka). We stood and chatted for a while before our friend Nick suddenly appeared, realizing that a huge group of our friends were standing on the other side of the pillar we were leaning against. We chatted with the group for a while, and then jetted off to find a place to take in a quick pint before Kelly and I headed to the matsuri and Torbjorn headed to his BBQ.

When we arrived at Sakurabashi (bridge) near Namba, the place was already packed. It was somewhere around 7; we had spent too long drinking with Tobs and there was barely room to walk down the street. The Matsuri is famous for these lantern-lit boats that lazily make their way from a temple down the river. Luckily, we found a moving stream of people across the bridge, and were able to see some of the boats. The highlight of the night, however, was the fireworks show! With an urban backdrop and over the river, it is truly a sight-to-see! Pretty much everyone at the festival was also dressed in traditional summer festival wear (yukata and jimbe). We tried to meet up with some other friends (the group Nick was with and my friend Adrienne and her friend from home), but there were so many people that the reception on my phone was out for hours.

Kelly and I found seats near the rows of stalls (selling food and offering games for children) and enjoyed the fireworks show, while snacking on our yakisoba (grilled noodles) and sipping a cool beer. It was the best show I have ever seen; sort of like a bigger better, more crowded - but longer - downtown Minneapolis 4th of July on the Washington Bridge.

It took us a while to get home with the crowds at all the stations (and the only place I could find a toilet was in the parking garage of one of the many love hotels in the area), but I will definately be going back - in yukata - next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home