Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Safe after the Earthquake

I have been getting several concerned emails after a large earthquake hit Niigata (about 3.5 hours from me) yesterday. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am safe, and like you, pretty much heard about the tragedy and damages on the news (it was a 6.8 manitude, so pretty serious).

I have noticed the trains have been delayed in the last few days, and there was an announcement yesterday evening (on my way back from seeing Harry Potter) that one delay was due to an earthquake... but otherwise, again, the earthquake did not affect me or the area I am in.

I have been at the Gion Matsuri (festival) in Kyoto all day today, so I'm pretty tired, but I'll get a new post up soon. In the meantime, my prayers go out to those who were injured or lost loved ones yesterday. I hope this finds you safe, as well.

(Sidenote: Here is further general info about earthquakes in Japan if you are interested: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070424i1.html OR http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/17/japan.quake.facts.reut/index.html)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home