Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Gion Matsuri














The Gion Matsuri is Japan’s most famous festival and one of the “three great festivals” of Japan.*
We weren’t sure at first whether we wanted to attend the Gion Matsuri (festival) in Kyoto on Tuesday (we’d see the parade, but have to use vacation time) or during the nights leading up to the last day, when various temples around the city and the giant floats are lit up. I pushed for Tuesday. We ended up going then.

I am glad I went, but it was really crowded and not as exciting to watch the parade as I had anticipated (we left the main event after 2 hours of elbowing to get a glimpse). I did, however, discover a new favorite shrine (Fushimi Inari Taishi) and have a good day, nonetheless.

Check out the comments in my Gion Album for the story behind it. I'd recommend going... but only once, and probably during one of the nights leading up to it. Sometimes there is such a thing as an event being TOO famous...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home