Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Hard times for Business in China?

Ok, I just saw another article about problem merchandise out of China and thought I'd pipe in. A few weeks ago, I had several people warn me to watch out for Chinese products in the grocery story (one literally checking to make sure I knew the kanji for "made in china" so i could avoid those products). The concern and media was prompted by a lot of people in Japan falling ill after seriously under-standard food from China was purchased and consumed in Japan. I think I even heard something about dangerous dog food. I kinda brushed that one off a little, considering myself at low risk (in reference to the groceries, not the dog food...) since my staple foods here are lettuce (usually from California), fruit, udon, white rice (currently with seaweed paper from Korea), milk, coffee and juice. Yeah, I eat a lot of Japanese food at school and when I go out, but I stick with a generally pretty western cuisine at home. No worries - I would just have to trust the restaraunts and cafeteria to do the checking.

Then, last week, I read a recent article on CNN about a woman who went a year without Chinese products, recalling how it is nearly impossible to tell if ingredients in most foods actually originated in the massive exporting country. The quality and health concerns came up again, this time on the American front.
(read the full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/07/26/china.products/index.html)

Today I saw this article about toys being recalled (and by one of the largest toy manufacturer's in the world) because their paint - from China - contains lead: One Million toys Re-called: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/toy.recall.ap/index.html

What is going on here?

China was obviously a huge focus in my professional life when i was working in the retail industry, especially considering my job entailed contact with supply-chain management, but it was more high level and the focus was on apparel. Now, however, it seems like there is a lot of public focus on ALL products out of China - and not for good reasons.

I have heard China described as the modern "Wild Wild West" (or east, if you will), but this is really not acceptible. This does not bode well for a country that has only been part of the WTO for 6 years, who is hosting the Olympics for the first time next year, and who is facing massive structural changes when, among other things, the Three Gorges Dam is officially completed in 2009. I feel like these production issues take root in quality control and business ethics. Watchdog groups are out there, yes, but is anyone teaching (or increasing education for) these businesses on how to correctly check their products and make sure they are up to standards? If not, what part of the responsibility for that do the western companies selling these products to unknowing consumers hold? We do have programs in the US like Peace Corps, which try to make a difference at a personal, or grassroots, level in China, but I think some proper *business* theory also needs to be injected into the professional environment. I am not an MBA, but it doesn't take a genius to realize this is not working... and, once again, it is totally unacceptable.

Part of the reason I want to share my thoughts on this topic is that I have a strong admiration and emotional connection with China, a country I have spent several months traveling (both through my studies, working and as a tourist). There is so much man-power and potential there. You want to talk about supply and demand?...the potential man-power in China is mind-numbing. Most of the people working now are just one generation away from the tragedies of the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution, too. Their parents knew real poverty; there are many people willing to work hard for a better life and to not have to go back to that. As they continue to build a new foundation (the now 40-year-old "New China"), I just hope they don't falter too much, and build a solid base. Then again, I suppose that is exactly what the WTO, for example, is trying to help them do.

I really love China and I want to see it shaped, or rather develop, positively... like an old friend. The "Sleeping Giant" is awakening...let's hope it finds prosper. But for now, yeah, maybe I will start to watch out for those "made in china" kanji.

Just some thoughts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home