Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Americans Take on the Big Rice Bowl

Slow morning at work so far. Talked to a girlfriend from home for a while yesterday morning, and she couldn't understand why they have us come in when there is nothing to do. It's actually a good lesson on Japanese culture; just being present often means more than what you contribute. It ties into the group mentality structure (being part of that group) and also explains why students here aren't really eager to single themselves out and answer questions in class (they are shy, but BEING in class is more important than "participating"). It is also the same reason why it's OK for people to sleep at work, something it took me a while to grow accustomed to. It's not that the 'sleepers' are inneffient, but rather, that they are present at work if they are needed and they do their job when they need to. If they sleep during the gaps, it's ok. The group mentality (vs. individualism) is really different my culture in a lot of ways, but that doesn't make it wrong. It just makes for more free time and slower works days for me at times;)

So I had dinner with my friend Chris from Honolulu last night and he gave me a lot of tips for the trip this week. I am getting really pumped! I had decided to stay in a hostel, but after realizing how much stuff I am going to have (including my laptop), I changed the reservation from a dorm room to a single. Despite my better judgment, I also decided I'm going to go to the uber-touristy Polynesian Cultural Center night show and luah (sp?) on Thursday. It'd be good to get a little local culture in. I was also going to do a morning trip to swim with the dolphins, but might just spend my time swimming and going running around Diamond Head. I am anticipating these three days are going to be simply blissful!

I don't have much else to tell for now, but I wanted to share a random thought with you guys. I saw this story when I opened my internet browser and the Yahoo homepage popped up: Average Cook Battles Rice. That's a headline? I just had to say something... I am comforted in knowing that I'm not the only American who thought rice was not that common and easy to make (at least before moving here). But I also think I've been here too long - I now know this staple food really is about the easiest thing you can make! Maybe that is what the 'expert cook' that wrote the article is trying to teach you, but it was strange to me that cooking rice would be a headline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home