Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Big News / Bad News.... Marathons.

The big news is that I decided to run another marathon next year! Since March (when I ran my first), I have noticed that people have had this misconception that if you do a marathon once, you are in stellar shape forever. Not true. I am, in fact, a little out-of-shape and have a lot of work to do. I still jog (and we use our bikes a lot), but would go weeks without doing so in the summer because of the heat. Training season, however, has definately started!

The bad news is that after deciding on the Tokyo Marathon, I apparently did not act fast enough and the registration is closed (http://www.tokyo42195.org/index_en.html). I would consider doing the same marathon I did last year again (running through the mountain towns to the sounds of people beating taiko drums is not something I expect to be able to replicate in the US), but I thought running Tokyo would be a great way to explore the city and I am sure the crowds would be amazing. AND... no time limit (I want to beat my last time, but it's still less pressure). My knees are OK for now, as well, but they didn't get bad until we got further into training last year, so I am also considering using accupuncture this time around.

Maybe I will leave Japan for a race, but I am not sure yet. I'll post more info on the subject as it comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home