Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, October 01, 2007

The Privitization of 郵便局 (〒)

Random story. One of my colleagues just came back from the post office, looking rushed. She explained that she had run an errand quickly over lunch but the place was a zoo, being the first day of the new system.

"The new system?" I inquired.

Then she explained that today is the day that Japan Post offically goes private.

The privitization of Japan Post, a project brought forth by former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, is one of the most controversial points of political debate in Japan... but, surprisingly, one I knew pretty much nothing about. I was surprised that neither CNN nor BBC News (my main news sources) were covering the story on their websites today, and I have also yet to learn how this will affect shipping rates and my business with them (if at all).

Anyways, here is some more information on the topic for now: http://search.ft.com/search?queryText=japan%2C+post%2C+koizumi&aje=true&dse=&dsz=&x=12&y=4

Enjoy the articles! I'll keep you posted (ok, bad pun) if there is anything big in the news about the change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home