Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Random Rumblings about my Hair

Less conventional cultural observation of the day: hair.

Cutting Down the Frizz
When I arrived in Japan in July last year, I was sporting the same haircut I have had for years. Long and simple. By the time I returned home this summer, a little over a year into my tenure in this country, I had gradually wielded my locks down to a short bob. If anything, it was actually boy-short in the back, resembling Posh Spice's short 'do when it was first done in June. I had grown so accustomed to the short hair that I had almost forgotten how different it was (for me)...until I returned home.
Coming to America
I got a lot of suprrised (but positive, whew) responses when people first saw the new style this summer, even from those have seen pictures of the prosess. The funniest part of it all for me, however, what how everyone kept telling me they loved my Japanese haircut. What Japanese haircut? I will admit I have changed in a few ways since moving to Japan, but it is mostly subtle and I do not consider my hair to be one of those major changes. I have in fact avoided the "Japanese" haircuts, with lots of layers at the top and thin, long hair at the bottom (ala Carol Brady). Mine is more European...if not, well, American. Maybe just not Minnesotan? The Annual Minnesota State Fair Picture Calendar
Anyways, I was prompted to reflect on this reception today when I walked in the door tonight and the first thing that caught my eye was the picture calendar that Kristin and I got together this summer. I have the same haircut in the picture as I do now, but I realized, it looks really different. Actually, maybe it did look more Japanese in America than it does now... because my hair itself changes when I get here. In an obscure sense, my haircut is Japanese in the sense that it is a survival tactic necessary to adapt to this country and culture. Yes, survival tactic... I'm talking humidity! The humidity does things to my hair here that I have never experienced before.

It sounds frivilous to discuss hair in so much detail, but honestly, if you suddenly hit the Hermione syndrome (and are in a place where you know you're going to be taking a lot of pictures), you think about these things. It's also a visible and immediate adjustment upon any arrival: my hair literally grew larger and larger on the bus ride from Kansai Airport to central Kobe when I got back to Japan.

The weather is getting better now, but I cannot tell you how nice it is to have the hair off my neck (better than a ponytail). This is completely random banter, yes, but maybe you'll have a little more food for thought when checking out my albums from now on (:-P)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home