Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Married to My Computer?

So I logged onto my computer this morning, and this headline popped up on my Yahoo homepage: Married to Your Computer.

I was curious, so I clicked on the article. Maybe I shouldn't have. The article goes on to describe folks whose "most significant other is a computer." It's somewhat humorous, and somewhat sad, but I fell dangerously right in the middle of that group. I'm going to bill that cause to the fact that I am American; the statistics stated say that 64% of Americans say they spend more time with their computer than with their significant other, while 84% say they are more dependent on their computer than they were 3 years ago.

I couldn't find statistics for Japan, but I am willing to bet they are similar. I asked my first year classes last week how many kids use email, and - on average - only about 3 per class rose their hand. These kids aren't home very much, no, but this also has a lot to do with the fact that we have email on our cell phone here (with they all have), so they spend more facetime with the mobile than with a PC (which I consider about the same thing).

Personally, my laptop is a source for information about my home country and a valuable communication tool, but maybe this is a wake-up call that it's time to get out (or offline...) more often! I would definately do my next relationship article on this topic, but that might also be taking it over the line... and I am willing to bet there are a lot more people like me very close by.

I'm going to get outside for a bit (taking this as a hint I should). Mata ne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home