Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Predictions Came True... OMIKOSHI

I heard the drumming on the way from the train station to school in Takasago, I knew the big day had come: I looked around, and sure enough, there was the gold-plated white shrine, winding it's way through town! I think I have figured out part of the system for when these things go down. There is a big post with two pieces of cloth hanging on it near my school, right? When the flowers and lanterns first went up, but the weather was gloomy and rainy, the white cloth was tied at the front. This week however, a reinnisance of late summer days (and beautiful weather), the purple cloth has been tied in front, I assume giving the "shrine-movers" confirmation that the festival is ON.

And on it was! On Tuesday, I heard my first shrine going past the staff room, so I quietly slipped outside with my camera to watch as a troop of preschool/elementary school kids pulled large ropes attached to a small, brown, wooden shrine on wheels down the street. Adults usually carry the shrine, while children pull it, but there is always one lucky kid who gets to sit inside the shrine, being pulled along, while they played the big, taiko drum being sheltered by the small shrine's walls. I have seen little girls dressed up like priestesses and such, but I am otherwise not sure how they decide what kid gets the priviledge.

The next morning, on Tuesday, as I mentioned above, I saw my first shrine within MINUTES of leaving the train station. It's hard to not notice a large group of men without pants on (wearing fendoshi, basically loin-clothes and a short, cotton, open jacket called a happi), carrying a large, ornately decorated (and sometimes painted) wooden box on their shoulders. Within 10 minutes (on foot), I had seen five more.

Update: On Wedneday afternoon, I ran a quick errand in the 'downtown' area of Takasago (near Seiyu Mall), only to find the roads were all blocked off, patrolled by police and that at least TEN more shrines were making their way around the narrow streets, while countless other shrine-going folk just sat on the side of the road and chatted. My colleagues actually yelled "omikoshi kyosukete!!" (be careful of the shrines!) as I was heading out the door...they really are EVERYWHERE!

Wednesday and Thursday are the peak of the season, apparently, although I recall seeing the shrines for weeks afterwards last year. I am not sure if they are meant to commence the event, or are simply part of the same period, but all the moving shrine activity falls precisely during the height of the Takasago Festival, held at the famous Takasago Shrine. I met one of the new expats in town to show her the Danish hotdog stand and grab some dinner on Thursday, and we were going to check out the festival (to do a little exploring), but we thought it was further than it was and gave up when we couldn't get a ride or find an extra bike. Zannen ne!

While I don't have "there's always next year" to fall back on this time (for things like the Takasago Festival), I can say I am happy to have seen SO MANY shrines and get a little more of the excitement this year. I might go to a 'fighting shrine' event next week (the moving shrines duke it out like chicken fighting) and the Futami-cho Festival is in two weeks. Keep your eye on the albums section...pictures will be coming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home