Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Doc Again? Seriously?

Ok, this is getting a little ridiculous. In Japan, you are not supposed to use your vacation time. It's considered rude or a faux pax, even though teachers don't get the summer off here and they can only use the vacation time during breaks when students aren't there anyways. It's so extreme that if you use all 40 allotted days, you will have 20 the next year and get a bad reputation.

Well, the same goes for sick leave. Normal teachers don't have it, but it's part of their vacation time package (that they aren't supposed to use). They do use it if they are REALLY ill, but will generally come to work sick (just wearing a mask) as to not use the time or let down the group.

This is probably one of the biggest cultural differences and biggest sources of tension when it comes down to contract differences (or how we view contracts) with foreigners working in Japan. We see time off as part of your compensation, while they see it as you abusing the system (even if it was negotiated). Hate the we/they speak, but it's the best way to describe it. Anyways, most foreigners will use their vacay time anyways, and will usually get away with it as part of the "clause" that non-Japanese people can't be expected to follow all the rules that are set for Japanese people. (just like the manners, such as bowing)

This is obviously a very basic, general explanation of the system, but I've even had some issues with it before and it seems I might today, too.

My neighbor just called me to see how I'm doing and also to urge me to go to the doc today. It's not her fault - she's the messenger - but there's apparently an issue with taking sick time (which I am allowed in my contract) without a note (even though my contract says I can have 2 days off before I need a doctor's note... AND I have a note). The thing that I think it funny is that I have a note and prescriptions from yesterday!! For the same issue. It's just not from today and since I have been sick SINCE going to the doc (again, same issue as 5 hours earlier when I got the note), they want me to go in again.

OK, I know these are cultural differences, but I cannot understand the logic behind it.

I am paying for these doctor's visits and they aren't always cheap, so going again will be time (both mine and whomever brings me), money, and pretty much just plain silly.

This doctor I would have to go see is also the same doctor that asked me what *I* wanted *him* to prescribe the first time I went (instead of him knowing what to give me) and also the same guy that didn't know what was wrong when I had to go in again yesterday (literally... he stroked his chin for 10 minutes and drew this really simple diagram of the two things it could be and crossed them both out). I don't mean to be rude, but what's the point? It's not going to be different this time either (the doc will probably think it's weird I'm back) and it's also annoying that this is the same exact line of thought as making the staff come into school even though we closed it to students for swine flu. You can't bend rules, even if it's logical to do so. I can't believe that "Japanese logic" (a term I've heard before) can be that naive or different from "western logic". I just don't get it. It's like, "work hard" comes before "work smart".

Anyways, I know I sound peeved (and don't mean to offend with this post), but I really do love Japan and understand the rules. I just don't agree and am def going to argue this one if they get aggressive about making me go to the doc. Once in 24 hours for the same thing is enough. Right now, i need to just stay home and rest. Or, I guess if they make me go to the doc, I'm going to the foreign hospital. Done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home