Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Announcement Delayed...

It's 5:30 and people are starting to look seriously bored as we wait for a decision from the Board of Education. I think we might be waiting on official test results from the CDC in Tokyo (about the Takasago Swine Flu outbreak), but they originally told us we would know by 4:30, then 7 and now people are saying 8. I think some teachers have to wait around, but I talked to a coworker and I'm going to head home soon. Chances are good school will be cancelled for the week, but the official announcement will be posted on our school website by 8pm and someone is going to call me to let me know what's up later. So much for a 9am meeting, though, eh? Shoganai...

I guess even if they cancelled one day, I would be at my visit high school tomorrow so it doesn't really matter, but I just spoke with a coworker from there and they've also been in meetings at work all day. I suspect most of the schools in the area are doing the same, and I heard the nearby (Kakogawa) elementary schools and junior highs have been shut down. At least all the kids (about 30) and the three teachers that went to the hospital from my school today are alright. One girl had a really high fever and people were nervous (kind of seemed like everyone FREAKED OUT if someone had even a trace of a fever for a few hours), but she's OK, so now it's just a matter of making sure nothing spreads more than it needs to. The principal wants to tell the kids to stay inside this week (and, hey, they get an extra week to study for midterms if school's cancelled, so maybe they will...) but I'm not as worried about all of this.

Anyways, yeah, I'm going to head home. Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home