Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Swine Flu Meeting Tomorrow

About two months ago, I was sitting in the monthly staff meeting, somewhat listening and going over the large stack of handouts in front of me, and someone reading the book under the table (hey - other teachers were sleeping - no joke!), when the phone tree came up. They just announced that the pattern has changed and even made a special note of that fact that a new person was to call me if anything happened. So we get back to the staff room after the meeting and I ask a teacher what the phone tree is actually used for (literally, "so we just use this if the school burns down, right?"). Well, apparently it's used about 6-10 times a year, particularly to inform people of weddings, funerals, etc. Except nobody has ever called me. The teacher I had asked was shocked when I told her this.

And then tonight... my first call.

Three cases of swine flu have been confirmed in Kobe (the first domestic cases in the country). Earlier in the week, my school was really concerned I had contracted the sickness when I returned very ill (bronchitis & food poisoning combo = not fun) and wouldn't let me come in for 2 days, telling me that the Board of Education would close all schools for a week if any cases in Kansai were confirmed. I wasn't told that school will definitely be closing, but the coworker that called me said we have a staff meeting at 9am tomorrow (Sunday) morning to discuss what to do.

Curious to see what they will say tomorrow... especially since it's midterms week. Can you imagine if we did have a week off this week, then the make-up midterms (ie no classes) the next week.... and then I'm gone for a week in Tokyo for my volunteer organization? Crazy. I'm never going to see my kids!

Anyways, I've had a long day so I need to get to bed, but all of this swine flu frenzy seems a little out of control. I've thought the media was overreacting, but I suppose it is spreading and it's good to be cautious. We'll see what they say, though.

Other than that, speech contest and interesting night in Himeji last night and tonight I was out at this AMAZING cafe in Osaka. Had a really excellent time (new favorite part of town - Orange Street!), but the train schedule I was using was wrong (do.no.trust.JORUDAN!) and I just spent the last 2+ hours walking home from Nishi Akashi station ($50 for a cab). I'm spent.

More soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home