Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Back to Work after GW

Back at school. To be honestI am kind of glad to be here. I was sort of worried about coming back to Japan when we left the Philippines for some reason, but the moment I hit Kobe, I felt a little refreshed because it’s familiar and I’m happy to have more time here, even though I definitely feel like the end of this chapter is near.

The same goes for school. I haven’t seen the students yet, but there are so many kind and supportive coworkers. When I walked in before the meeting today, gave my greeting with a bow and sat down, everyone looked a little shocked to see me. I guess it has been over two weeks since I was last at school, but once the meeting finished, so many people came up and asked how I was because they had all heard I was sick. Ok, some might have also told me I still look like crap and look "weak", but that’s cultural and I’m used to it… suppose I could look at the positive side and say at least they’re paying attention?

I am actually feeling a little weak today and was sick both last night and this morning, so not quite at 100% or ready to eat normally again yet (which makes this bronchitis & stomach stuff officially suck), but they told me I can take even more time off if I want/need it and I think getting out of the house isn’t a bad thing. They’re being really careful about my classes, even doing a prep-course about the Philippines before my Philippines presentation to give me more time to rest and canceling all my lunchtime discussion sessions for the next two days. Pretty sweet, especially considering I was gone for two weeks, sick for two days and I am supposed to do a presentation and judge a speech contest at another school on Friday, so I’ll miss all those classes, too.

There’s also been a bit happening outside of work lately. I wish I could tell you running (the weather is so perfect and beautiful – not humid yet), but not so much. I have heard back from most of the schools I applied to for graduate school and am now trying to make some big decisions about where to move next year. I definitely have options, so I shouldn’t complain, but I can’t believe how tough this year was. Plans may be quite different than I originally thought they would be (maybe even if you had asked me last week), but it’s still TBD on exactly where I’ll be moving in August. Definitely America, though.

I am also finishing up my tenure on the National non-profit. In addition to regular things, like my Block Rep, Advertising stuff and national e-Bulletin stuff I do, lately we’ve also been working on reports for the Opinion Exchange with CLAIR and the three ministries responsible for education in Japan. My group is focusing on the new mandatory English curriculum for elementary students. I can’t take credit for doing much work on the report, as I helped with creating the survey and editing drafts, but didn’t do much by way of writing, but I am still looking forward to the meetings and might be presenting the English version. Before the Opinion Exchange, which will last two days, we have two days of changeover meetings with the incoming council and I’m planning to pad in some extra time on both sides to meet-up with my brother (who will be in Tokyo with friends) and personal time exploring the Nikko temple complex. Should be good.

Anyways, I am going to plan some lessons and start looking at stuff for Friday (America presentation again - yay), but not so bad to be back ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home