Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, May 18, 2009

School Closed This Week (Swine Flu)

Well, the suspected cases of swine flu in Takasago were confirmed and both of my schools have been closed for a week.

It's a little bit funny because we were supposed to have midterms this week (so no class this week, midterms next week and I'm in Tokyo the following week), so I'm not really going to have seen my kids in class for about a month and a half once I do see them again (and this was not long after spring break and the beginning of the school year!). There have been several other reported cases (now 8 in Kobe and in other universities and high schools in the area), but the most ironic thing is that even though school is cancelled, the staff still needs to come in. If you ask me, there isn't much logic behind it as teachers could spread any infectous disease that students could (and would have been present in the same situations as the students when the flu was contracted - takes a week to incubate so we wouldn't even know!), but I guess that's Japan. I asked about it and was told it was the rules and we'd have to take vacation time to stay home... it's a group society thing (and the reason why teachers come to work during all breaks, even when there are no students). I understand it, but I guess I just don't really agree.

Anyways, so teachers are calling students with homework assignments but we're basically just hanging out all week. I have a friend at a Junior High in Takasago and she said her coworkers have to go visit each student and give them their homework (which seems to defeat the purpose of them being home at all!?), but otherwise, I think people are just taking it easy... and hopefully calming down.

Midterms are also postponed until next week, so to be honest, I'm going to have a lot of free time coming up and am not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing. The year started in March, then we had spring break for a few weeks, then about 2 weeks of school before the Golden Week holidays (two weeks I was in the Philippines)....and I was pretty sick and missed a few days when I got home. So I basically haven't really had real classes in several weeks, and with no classes this week, midterms (no classes next week), and then me being gone in Tokyo for meetings Friday - Wednesday the next week... wondering if these students are going to remember my name! :-p After that, we only have about 3 or 4 weeks of classes before summer holidays, too.... and then I'm done. Pretty crazy (which seems to be quickly becoming the tagline of the day).

At least the new schedule this week will give me a chance to bike to school. I don't need to be there to prepare for classes in the morning, can wear what I want and the weather is beautiful. Good to get some exercise since I haven't been running in a bit, too.

Today, I've just been on the internet reading the news and watching Facebook and the message boards here blow up with the buzz about swine flu. People are definitely talking and more schools are closing (even since I started writing). A teacher also gave me this really amazing series of Japanese Fairy Tales (that I think I might go buy this week, actually) so I have spent some time learning all about the Bamboo Princess, why the sea has salt and Sleepyhead Taro. Very, very strong similarities to the nordic folk tales (Asbjornson and Moe, in addition and close parallel to the brother Grimm). Reminds me of my camp counselor days when I used to read them to the girls in my cabin every night ;-p

I'm gonna go grab lunch (still on ramen) but more later. Things seem to have calmed down a bit now that everyone has a sick mask and feels safer (the stores are sold out!) but it's strange to see. Willing to bet $10 the convenience store workers (and people at the grocery store) will all be wearing them!

Japan Swine Flu count up to 80 - more news:
http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?id=5758&sec=1
http://www.newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/morenews/Education_News/
http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=10308

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home