Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Home Again and a Bit of Randomness

Growing up in the Midwest, I always thought it was funny when people that came to visit from other areas of the country would complain about the weather. Yes, it was really extreme (hot, steamy summers and freezing cold winters), but I think I assumed it was just them complaining too much.

Today I looked at the temperature for Minneapolis. While it's still a reasonable 17 degrees C here, Minnesota is currently 36. 36!!!??? That makes no sense when it snowed the week Krystal came a month ago. It looks like they are going to level off and have temps closer to what we have here this week, but I think I am starting to understand what all those people were complaining about. I mean, is that even natural?

***************************************************************

Well, I have been more updates from the local government on the swine flu situation and it looks like the government is starting to accept/admit the may have overreacted a bit. The US embassy is advising people to stock up on 2 weeks worth of food (and to not come to their office if they have any symptoms - ha), but it seems that since 1.2 million kids have no school this week, the lines at karaoke joints have been out of control.

A few local festivals have been cancelled though (Peron Matsuri in Aioi, for example) and I heard they might cancel upcoming concerts, even the big names from abroad.

I was talking to one of my friends in America about it and she thought it was so funny how she sees all the hype about it, but it seems so removed for her. I guess we are sort of that American generation that has grown up never experiencing major illnesses, extreme economic hardships or war on home soil (just seeing it on TV), so this might be the first time that something like this is really relevant to me in my daily life (vs going to another country where I can experience traces of these effects on other people). It's not war, no, but it's big enough to close the schools.

***************************************************************

This is becoming a tragic case, but I'm home sick again today, too. So in Boracay, we had some issues with bedbugs, food poisoning and bronchitis. I came back to Japan from that trip in pretty sore shape, not having slept for a whole night because I was so uncomfortable, hadn't eaten for close to 48 hours because I couldn't hold it down (threw up the water I tried to drink behind a chair at the airport... or, erm, I mean someone did... pretty nasty) and then there were the coughing attacks. I had gotten sick 10 times in one night on a different night, so I had already been to a doctor for antibiotics, and thought it was a matter of time until I got better. My school, however, had just been informed that swine flu had arrived in the country and made me see a doctor again upon my return (even calling the airport to try to contain me before I came in) to confirm that I was safe. And - of course - I was.

Well, this last week all the swine flu stuff has hit, but I have started to get better. The coughing is gone, but for some reason, my appetite is not back and when I try to eat... well, it's not working out so well.

I went back to the doctor yesterday since two weeks isn't normal for not being able to hold down food (or having it come back at ya in unpleasant ways), but they can't figure out what's wrong. I got a PILE of pills AGAIN, but last night I got sick when I took them. Thankfully my neighbor Miwa was amazing and both helped me out when I was glued to the bathroom floor (couldn't hold down the cup of tea I drank - wtf?!) and then called my work supervisor to explain (even though it was late). Feeling OK today, but this probably means no food quite yet :-(

Starting to wonder if it's really a SE Asian bug of some sort (like a worm!).... maybe the kind you get without the benefit of losing all the weight? Otherwise, while I know it isn't swine flu with all the hype around it (no fever), I'm going to request to go to the foreign hospital next week if this doesn't go away by then.

Getting sick has also definitely made me realize how much my life in Japan revolves around food, though. Going out to eat with friends, all-you-can-eat/drink at work parties, dinner at neighbors houses, going to the cool foreign stores to get food you can't usually find here, and - of course - cooking. It's not just Japan, it's me... but not really being able to eat and not even craving food almost seems like a cultural shift!

An Ode to Food (I have too much free time right now...)

The Philippines was grand.
Greek, sandwiches and shakes abound.

But then things changed to a lesser note,
and my once-so-hungry tummy just completely turned around.


Oh how I miss the feta,

Now how I miss the fruit.

I miss banana pancakes,

and the meat served in a chute.

Since getting back to J-land,
The piggy illness found.

Still no yummy goodies for moi,
but I think I could still hunt them like a hound.


Oh how I miss the cocktails,
Now how I miss the fruit.
I miss adobo chicken,

and even crappy natto (smells like a filthy BOOT)!


***************************************************************

This has to be one of the most random posts I have ever put up, but I thought I'd share two more small things that are sort of funny.

First, I thought I would mention that I finally figured out what the "Fairytale" comments about Syttende Mai were all about. NORGE VANT GRAND PRIX!!!! Norway came in first place in the Eurovision Song Competition 2009, the biggest music competition in Europe. I watched all of the performances on Youtube at work the other day, and while some of them were sort of funny and cheesy (classic Eurovision), I definitely see why Norway won.

Instead of being over the top, Alexander Rybek, the main singer is cute, charasmatic, seems really authentic/real, and he even plays the fiddle (ha! so norsk!). The song itself is upbeat, catchy, Rybek has beautiful background singers and the gig has entertainment (awesome dancers) for the audience... it's just fun.

Check it out for yourself:



Finally, I have been getting more comments about my resemblance to a certain Japanese girl (not the same one from before). Mona Yamamoto is apparently this half-Japanese, half-Norwegian model who had a scandalous affair with a politician a few years back.

I can sort of see it (in the video on the above link) and sort of not. What do you think of this one:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home