Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

School is a Ghost Town

Here we go... another little update on the crazy swine flu frenzy over here. A few days in and overall mask count is definitely on the rise. As of yesterday, the number of confirmed swine flu cases in Hyogo (my prefecture... sort of like a state) is at 53 people and the total number in Japan is 96. I don't exactly know where they get the number, but the Japanese National Infectious Disease Surveillance Center (our CDC) estimates there are probably 1000 cases in the country.

While there were no kids at school yesterday, work at my visit high school seemed pretty normal... just a bit boring with nothing to do. Today at my regular high school, however... GHOST TOWN. There are probably a total of 15 people in the staff room (all the rest are using vacation time to stay home) and Hyogo Prefecture has closed all prefectural schools until the 22nd, so I assume it's the same everywhere else (1440 schools and 640,000 students!).

While most of the cases have also been teachers and students, a bank employee in central Kobe just came down with swine flu and I heard yesterday the library and local government offices in my town are also closing.

Living here sort of feels like being in a movie right now. I mean, people aren't wearing full on medical suits or anything, but they are wearing masks and there's nobody around. I haven't been to Kobe yet since this happened, but I've heard 80% of the people there have masks on and now they might even try to close the department stores. Creepy!

I'm doing alright, but I think I might have to go to the doctor with a coworker (and go home sick?) - again - today :-( My stupid stomach is still a mess. Tried to eat again last night and not feeling so well because of it. I actually love the Philippines but am starting to get annoyed by the backlash of that visit... Beyond sick of being sick, but I guess this is a good time for it to happen (thanks piggies). I just like food and would like to have some again :-p

OH... and this is kind of hilarious but my coworker just told me I have the wrong kind of mask, too. Apparently, the style I am wearing is for sinus problems, but there is a different style for virus (which we got for free at school). Are you kidding me? I don't think any of them make THAT big of a difference... but really had no idea there are different styles for different purposes.

***************************************************************************************

While the news and even social messaging boards are aflame with chatter about swine flu, there are some other things going on. I was way too tired when I got back to finish the Philippines post (which is sort of huge and monstrous now, anyways, so not sure if I even should post it!), but I saw the new Star Trek movie the last night in Singapore. Totally cheesy, but I really loved it. I saw it in a really nice mall in Cebu City, Philippines and i have to say it was SO nice to just sit and relax in a huge, cool movie theater. They were pretty aggressive with anti-piracy (checked our cameras, told us there were undercover anti-piracy officers in the theater and then played about 5 commercials about why piracy is bad), but I suppose a lot of the rip-offs come from the Philippines so I can understand why.

As for the movie itself, cheese galore as I said, but for someone who used to watch the old 50s show (and a bit of the Gen X stuff) as a kid, it was really fun to see where the characters came from, especially with such advanced special effects in this film. I also loved the whole space-time crossover theme and all the pop-culture-historical references. I can only imagine how excited the klingon-speakers of this world (real trekkies) were ;-p

Also finished a few books over the last week (usually like Sedaris, but loved his new book... check it out!) and finally got caught up on LOST. The show was really good in the beginning, then sort of stupid, then bad... and now it's getting good again. The season finale wasn't as amazing as I thought it was going to be after everyone raved about it, but the twist at the end did sort of get me. And even I was a little emotional about it (<>). I also watched the last half season of 30 Rock (been a while since I've watched TV... lots to catch up on!), which I am now craving more of, too. The show is really clever, often in really witty and subtle ways.

***************************************************************************************

I just looked around and I am literally the only one in the staff room, so I'm going to go see if I'm supposed to be somewhere. Going to the doc when my coworkers meeting is over, too, so prob more tomorrow....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home