Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Slow Fridays and a 35k...tonight!

It's Friday again and things are going well with me. I've been feeling a bit bored this week, but I think it has a lot to do with my current mindset.  Some of my close friends will be leaving Japan very soon, which can already be a hard thing in itself, but I also feel like they are beginning the process of mentally checking-out (or at least thinking beyond being here) and it's making me think differently, too, to a smaller extent. I still have some time left in Japan, as well as a lot of experiences to squeeze outta this place before I go, so I am trying to not let it affect me... 

Work today is going slow, too. I am trying to do a lot more correcting, write an essay and was going to do a presentation on India, but due to some computer problems, we did a fun intro about Valentines Day (coming up soon...yowzas).

I think I just need to run.  It's my meditation.  And speaking of which...

My friend Lena and I are doing our first 35k run tonight (did 25k last weekend) in prep. for the marathon next month. I was just writing an email to my friend Claire about how hard it is to believe it's been a YEAR since she and Kristin came to visit (the last time I was doing these long runs).  I'm a little nervous, but also excited... if we finish tonight, we can definitely handle 42k.

I was going to try to go to Nagano this weekend, but I'm going to stay local and might go skiing or ice skating on Saturday. There is no snow where I life, but the white-capped mountains aren't too far away, so it's tempting. I'm also going hiking with my friend's brother (from MN) that lives in Kyoto on Monday, as well, so at least there will be a lot of physical activity. I have never met the guy I am going hiking with, but I was really close with his sister (and even their parents) in high school and - ironically enough - it was through his family (who lived in Japan for 10 years) that I first generated an interest in Japan.  It was later, when I went on an economics study trip to China, that I fell in love with the place myself - but this family definitely had an impact. I'm looking forward to it.

I am going to get going, but wish me luck on the run tonight and hope you all have a nice Friday afternoon.  TGIF!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home