Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Kasuga Shrine and Lantern Festival...shucks

As I was writing about Setsubon, I just realized that the Kasuga Shrine Lantern festival in Nara was probably this weekend. Crap! I hate when this happens... I really wanted to go and was so close! The festival is held twice a year (during Setsubon and Obon), so I might have one more chance to check it out.

As you know, Nara is the ancient capital of Japan and is scattered with UNESCO World Heritage Site-yielding temples, pagodas and shrines. It's a very romantic place and I recommend going if you come to Japan, even as a day/morning trip from Kyoto.

So Kasuga is one of these amazing shrines, set deep in the city's ancient forest. It has beautiful, traditional stone lantern-lined paths leading up to it, and the priests actually light all the lanterns (hundreds of them!) twice a year. I've only been to the shrine once, but it struck me as very mystical, maybe even magical - like something out of a Ghible movie. I've wanted to see the festival since I first went to the shrine, shortly after arriving in Japan, so hopefully I'll make it to see the lanterns someday. I have a feeling it'd be worth it! Either way, big FYI if you're ever in Japan in February or August!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home