Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

People to People Scandal

My dad sent me an article about a Minnesota boy who died in Japan last summer. I hadn't heard of this story before now, but I find it really concerning.


The program mentioned in the article, People to People, actually recruited me to go on a study trip to Europe when I was in middle school (I remember daydreaming about kissing the Blarney stone...). I think I even knew one other kid who participated in one of their programs and it seemed reputable to me when I got the materials.


As much as I will advocate the importance of learning about other cultures and the value of spending time abroad, this is a reminder that things can go wrong and that you need to be careful when making arrangements. Wow, my heart goes out to this boy's family... what a sad story! Hopefully we can all learn something from this tragedy so it doesn't happen again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home