Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, February 04, 2008

The Weekend Review - Happy Setsubon!

Hey everyone! First and foremost, THANK YOU to all of you that have responded to the charity... already! I have already met my fundraising goal and am excited about all the of the support we're going to be giving to PEPY Ride. Again, this is a charity I trust and a vision I believe in, so more donations are always welcome... it goes to a good cause (and you get your name on a marathon t-shirt, which is pretty cool if you ask me).

Well, the weekend was fun, but I hardly know where it went! I wasn't feeling well on Friday and had to take it easy at work. Don't worry... I really don't think it was the gyoza and I got better pretty quickly. In fact, Lena (a good friend in Japan, originally from Oregon and my running buddy) and I managed our first long run, which was a little over a half marathon (20 something kilometers) and about 3 hours. I felt really good afterwards and could even bike over an hour (round trip) the next day without pain. As long as we can make the time limits, we should be able to finish this marathon!

Girl's Day
On Saturday, I saw my old ladies in the afternoon and my midwest-girls, Shannon and Brianne, threw me a fun, little birthday dinner at The Old Spaghetti Factory in Kobe at night. I've been wanting to check it out for a while (same chain, but it's more expensive than America here...and no unlimited salad). We were going to go ice skating or to see a movie, as well, but ended up just spending the night talking, laughing and playing Apples-to-Apples (with the waiters and a wine bottle). It was a blast... but I am still not sure how the wine bottle won the game(?!) but definitely a birthday I will remember.

Art in Osaka
A few months ago, I discovered a major museum that had slipped under my radar all this time: the National Museum of Art in Osaka (!!). I finally got to check it out on Sunday. The building itself, mostly underground with a giant glass and metal pole structure to mark its location, was very modern. Themuseum, also located right next to the Science Museum, was showing peices from their permanent collection (400 or so works from a collection of over 5,700) for the 30th Anniversary special exhibition. I had a good time and discovered some Japanese artists I wouldn't mind looking up more on (especially considering I know next to nothing about Japanese painters).

Between the fun dinner on Saturday, a visit to the National Museum of Art in Osaka and Taco Night at my friend Shag's house on Sunday (the food is always amazing and this time the night included watching Mean Girls and 30 Rock), it was a splendid weekend, indeed.

Setsubon
But before I forget, happy Setsubon! Sunday (Feb 3) was also Setsubon, or the holiday to mark a change in the seasons (not just winter ending, but traditionally a change in any season...). Spring setsubon was originally held on different dates (based on the weather?), but is now held on a certain day (usually Feb 3/4) according to the lunar calendar. The spring setsubon is characterized by a ritual to cleanse away the evil of the former year and drive out bad spirits, sort of like a New Years. When I saw my old ladies on Saturday, one of them gave me red and blue origami oni (devil figures), a symbol of the holiday. Other traditions include throwing soy beans (same number as your age) to drive away demons and eating makizushi (very long, hand-rolled sushi). You are supposed to eat the sushi facing south-east, but I still haven't figured out a reason for that one. We saw the sushi all over the place in Osaka , long rolls (not cut up), as we were going to and from the museum, so I am sure a lot of people follow the tradition. The sushi wasn't cheap for what it was, but I guess people will pay the price for tradition.... even I almost spent about $350 on half a roll to try it... decided to get something else (but did get the beans).

Anyways, that's about it for me. It's Monday and I have stuff to do, so I should go, but I hope the weekend has treated all of you well.

By the way... I've been thinking of t-shirt design ideas for Team PEPY, so I'll put up a picture once I make a decision :) It might be best to do a screen print... and the team is growing!

Matta ne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home