Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday & the Political Low-down

I think I might be a little too excited about talking to my class about the election today... it's SUPER TUESDAY (well, in America) and things are heating up. C'mon! Aren't you excited?

I like politics, but I try not to get too worked up at school (save that for certain friends and often reading the news). When I discovered only two (out of a class of 40) students knew who Hillary Clinton was two weeks ago, however, I decided I needed to do something or at least teach them a little about current events in America. Today's goal is to just introduce the major candidates, talk about Republicans and Democrats and explain that this is an election year. Still, it's making me practically giddy.

Speaking of These Kids...
I have gotten really comfortable with my second year class and am starting to realize what a good vibe/rapport we have. Last week, they were really talking and sharing opinions in our small discussion group (10 kids with me, 10 with another teacher). That is not always common in Japan, especially at a medium-level high school. We were discussing manners and ettiquete and I told them my story about using the phone on the train (where some random guy told me it was prohibited). We took a vote to see who thought foreigners should be expected to know all the "rules" in Japan, and who thought they should be excused... and then discussed why. It was pretty awesome.

The Changes are Coming
I guess it's also hitting me how much I am really not looking forward to the school year ending next month. The third-year students finished class last week, so the school is already down a third of the student body and will soon get new students for orientation, etc. I'm especially going to miss my time with one class (see them about 4 times a week right now and sometimes get to lead reading - and soon writing - classes pretty much on my own). On the topic of the new yeart and transition, one of my favorite co-workers also told me yesterday that this is his last week at our school. He's going to leave 2 months early to get his motorcycle license and go to Europe for a while. It's starting... :-o

Anyways, I guess that is just life, right? Or life in Japan. Or life at a public school. Or all of the above?! But I've just got to deal.

I could go on for a while, but I'll just stop here, go prep for my politics intro a bit more and leave you with a funny conversation about the class I just mentioned (2の1 rockstars). Maybe you had to be there, but hope you enjoy:

(after a slow class where the kids weren't working as hard on pronunciation this morning...)

森先生:  We have a proverb in Japan that says you can lead the cattle to the river, but you can't make them drink the water.

ブレンダ(私): Haha. What are you implying, Mori Sensei?

森先生:  I think you know.

ブレンダ(私):  Yeah, and I thought I wasn't a morning person. That is why I like these people. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home