Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, February 08, 2008

For those of you in Sapporo this weekend...

enjoy the Snow Festival, you lucky jerks! Kidding, kidding... I went last year and opted not to go again. Now that such a large contingency of awesome people (who also like the slopes) are there - and the thought of seeing a white winter has become particularly appealing to me right now! - I do, HOWEVER, have to admit the trip does seem a lot sweeter.  Hope everyone enjoys!

Anyways, on the topic of being in Sapporo (Hokkaido), the northern island, I just wanted to mention that if you ever make it there (or are going this weekend), you should definitely check out the Ainu museum! The Ainu people are an indigenous group in northern Japan (pop. 24,000) and arguably the natives of Japan.  To give some perspective, you could probably best draw comparisons between the Ainu struggles and history and that of various Native American tribes in the states.  Otherwise, I would say their situation closely reflects that of the Sami people in Northern Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia (sometimes referred to as "Lappland").

We learn do much about Samurai, eras in Japanese history and the war in Japan... but I rarely hear much about the Ainu and thought it might be worth bringing up.  Someone just sent me a link to a page on the human rights of indigenous peoples, and I guess I was inspired.

On one last, random note, I should also add that this past Wednesday, February 6th, was the Sami Independence Day ("National Day") in Norway.  Gratulerer med dagen!

Enjoy the long weekend and safe travels to the many people leaving town (esp those of you hitting the slopes for the first time ever!!).  Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home