Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

More on Education: Referendum (or, Another One Bites the Dust)

Yesterday was Election Day in my hometown, which included an operating levy that would help maintain strong schools in the school district I grew up in (and my mother taught in). It is not a surprise or new trend that the school system does not get enough funding, but what I found interesting about this election was that a good deal of publicity was driven through Facebook. I was asked to join a group supporting District 281, which then sent information and updates via private message boards. I assume they tried to recruit everyone listing my high school to their group, but I was really impressed by the strategy.

Anyways, I was not home to participate in the elections, but my parents voted. Unfortunately, the referendum still lost, so no taxes levy this year. At the same time, it was close (53% to 47%) so maybe using tools like Facebook will help change the outcome in the future.

I am sure there are some of you reading this from MN that didn’t know yesterday was a voting day or just weren't sure where to go. I’m a day late, but in the latter case, here is a website to find polling locations in MN: http://pollfinder.sos.state.mn.us. Next time, ne?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home