Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Spendin' most our lives livin' in the blogger’s paradise

Reading your friends' blogs can be an interesting experience. We had a little scuffle a few weeks ago when I finally checked a friend’s blog and she had written about how she was upset about something I had done (came off wrong & caused some unnecessary tension in the group). I also know there has been drama in the past when people here have posted a virtual diary detailing exactly what they think of the other foreigners they live near.

Anyways, I read my friend’s blog about the Jidai Matsuri (a festival we went to in Kyoto last weekend - *see end of this entry for more info) today and realized that reading opinions via blogs, while sometimes harmful, can also be a great source for personal reflection.

While the festival/parade was cool, I was surprised to read that my friend, who had never been to Kyoto before, had a horrible time and was not impressed by the city. She hated it. You see, every guidebook tells you Kyoto is 'a must' in Japan and everyone else seems to love it. And for that reason, I am usually pretty discreet about the fact that I am not exactly a fan of Kyoto either. I get annoyed every time I go, and am so happy to be back in Kobe when I leave. The reason I go back, however, is because of all of the cultural relics. It's literally like a jewel-in-the-rough. The temples are so moving and beautiful (especially if not drowning with other tourists - Japanese and foreign alike) and there is enough to see for weeks or years. It is just getting from temple-to-temple through the city that gets annoying. I get sick of the other gaijin (many of them perpetrating the stereotypes) and just don't like the feel of the town. Can't explain it, but I don't feel at home and am really glad I don’t live there.

I found myself relieved to hear the songs of another soul who feels the same. And I don’t think I would have found that confession (at least living where I am) without having read my friend’s blog. I told her to go back for a day-trip or two once the trains have day-passes again to do sightseeing (it gets better - SO amazing), but I think I will definitely be checking blogs and keeping up with friends here more. Maybe I shouldn’t keep mine suck a secret, either...

These are just some random thoughts, so sorry for the long posts... I'm a talker and I guess it translates to written-word ;) Happy Halloween to everyone and I hope all is well. Miss you:)


*JIDAI MATSURI (festival) is a huge cultural festival that takes place in Kyoto in October each year. Someone told me it started when they moved the capital to Tokyo so Kyoto still had something to boast about (to lift their spirits), but that has yet to be confirmed. There is a huge parade (almost 2 hours from start to finish) where people dressed in period-costumes from Japan’s history walk through the streets of the culturally rich city. We positioned ourselves just in front of the Imperial Palace (at the start of the parade), but I think it would have also been cool to watch it from Heian where a huge orange Torii stretches over a street leading to a large Temple (also the end of the parade).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home