Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Learning to Bow

I have realized that I have recently become a bowing-maniac! I bow to say hello (a Japanese version of the ‘Minnesota-nice' smile/nod/greeting); I bow to people when I am on my bike; I even caught myself bowing on the phone when I was trying to schedule a delivery last week!
Bowing - much like language - has different levels of politeness. There is the small, more informal bow, the 45 degree more respectful bow, and the kiss-your-toes, grinding-the-sesame (sucking up), ultimate respect bow.
At first I would just try to stay on the safe side and bow pretty low to everyone, but I think I have it down now. I can’t stop. Next time you see me, give me a bow or two. I am willing to bet you money I will instinctively bow back each time without even thinking about it.

Note: I ripped this subject-liner (Learning to Bow) off of novel by an American in Japan. I recommend the book if you are into Japan or want to learn more. It's a great read!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home