Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

'Oh, you're so good with the hashi!'

The Japanese will often compliment foreigners on their amazing hashi (chopstick) abilities the first time they see them use them (or in other words, eat). I know, I know... we have them in America and even a 5-year-old can use chopsticks. But this is more of an ice-breaker than an actual compliment so the Japanese consider it polite.
Compliment or not, though, I really do think I am getting better at using hashi. I taught myself to hold them in a really strange way when I was a kid, and have now - finally - caved in to correcting my form so I hold them the 'correct' way. I guess I am not trying to brag by listing all of these little accomplishments (if you can call them that); I just find it interesting to observe progress and change in subtle ways.
I also learned last week that there are about 8 main rules regarding chopsticks. I know not to let my chopsticks rest IN the food (like sticking in the rice - they do this at funerals!) or pass food between chopsticks (another funeral thing), but I definately picked up some ettiquete this week that I have been blatently going against since I arrived. I know not to 'spear' food with them either, but licking rice off the chopsticks, for example, is considered disgusting. Oops.
Goes to show even 'simple' things can hold hidden meaning. I might be reading into this too much, but I kind of think the ettiquete behind chopsticks offers a small glimse into the structure and maybe delicate beauty and art in this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home