Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Embodying the Western Woman

One of my Japanese co-workers who lived in America for 5 years recently gave me a book of comics about a single, expatriate living in Japan. The premise is that this guy comes to Japan and is suddenly transformed from a normal-to-nerdy Canadian dude into ‘Charisma Man’, every (Japanese) girl’s fantasy. Charisma Man goes 'from zero to hero' in the blink of an eye. While this concept may seem a little ironic, racist or ridiculous at first, I can attest to the fact that the story is at least partially rooted in truth. The creater of the strip lived in Japan, and I think the comic is incredibly insightful into the life and perspectives of gaijin (or foreigners) - especially western - living here. I definately think it is a clever social commentary, although as time goes on and I witness the ‘Charisma Man’ phenomenon more and more, I think I may actually be (secretly) starting to embody the persona of the "evil" western woman (charisma man's archnemesis).
I came to this realization last week when I attended a cultural event with some other foreigners and mostly Japanese people. The Japanese people I was with were very polite and sweet, but I almost became invisible (or at least had to take a back seat) when the women got a load of the foreign guy I was with.
At first I thought this could be a cultural difference. As my co-worker put it after a work party one night, ‘in America it is ladies first, but in Japan it is men first’ (originally followed by a ‘get used to it’!). This is a hierarchal society and things can be easier for men, but looking back in hindsight (always 20/20!), I am pretty certain it was the guy’s 'foreign charm’ (i.e. being western) and not just his maleness that gave him so much power and appeal. I do know several Japanese women whose Charisma-man-o-meter (sense of reality?) is in check, but they are the exception rather than the norm.
It is probably somewhat hypocritical for me to complain. I have without a doubt gotten special treatment because of my western appearance (both here and in other parts of Asia), but I still feel like the male factor brings it to a whole new level.

Here is a peek at the strip (click on the picture to enlarge it):

Charisma Man; Artists and Writers: Larry Rodney, Wayne Wilson, Glen Schroeder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home