Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sticking to the Woman Speak

In my previous post, I mentioned sexism - or at least stereotypes and 'special treatment'- in Japan.
Don't get me wrong. While I have not quite formed the opinion that Japan is sexist (I definately feel included and respected by my coworkers, for example), I recently learned some interesting tidbits about the culture I see as worth sharing. In addition to all the different levels of formality within the Japanese language (similar to the 'respectful tenses' found in German or Norwegian; feks. bruk av Dem) there are also a slew of words I am simply not allowed to use in Japanese because they are only for men. I think it’s one thing to be respectful and at least try to communicate in the native language, but it is another when I don’t know if I am using the right level of politeness (aim higher here) or even if I am supposed to (or allowed to?) be using the word I learned at all.
The difference in language has got me thinking. When I arrived in Japan, there was a lot of publicity and debate surrounding whether or not females should be able to ascend the royal throne. I know this has a lot to do with tradition, but it makes me wonder what other reasons might have been behind opposing a female heir.... and what else women are not supposed to do here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home