Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

FlipFest 2006 - Minneapolis

By adding this blog, I guess I am admitting I attended (and may have participated in - maybe even won by default) last year’s flip cup festival at Williams Pub in Uptown. If you missed it, all I can say is that it was seriously like a scene out of a Ben Stiller movie. Two guys from my CSC broomball team had planned the outing, so I didn’t really expect too big of a crowd. I also thought we might be out-of-place in the bright-green t-shirts Cam made our team (Rick, Casey, Chris, Cameron & me), but we were pretty much in the norm or even underdressed. It was crazy!
There was a team with cut-off-arm jean-vests with drawn-on mustaches and berets, another dressed as scouts, and several teams with t-shirts and sweat bands. To make things worse (or better?), not only is Williams a local watering hole for alumni from both my college and high school (so I run into people all the time), but the basement was packed with a huge number of my former co-workers from Target. Even my old Finance Expert was there. At least there was a lot of team spirit in the air. Even if it was flip cup.
Anyways, I got an Evite with a reminder about this year’s flipcup tournie and it made me think of home and reminisce a bit. I will obviously not be attending, but hope those of you that do have an awesome time and good luck!

PS - if you don’t know what FlipCup is, please don’t bother looking it up. It’s, er,a college thing....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home