Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cheap Flights and Pig Flu in the News

Oh great. Just when I thought the end of this chapter was coming down to the closing pages and my travel lust was going to cool for a while so I thought I could focus on school and spend some time back in the states... this happens. Looks like a new US low-cost carrier airline called JETAmerica is looking to become the US equivilent to Ryan Air in Europe. Yep, about $9 for inter-city flights. And this has to come at a time when I'm moving to a new part of America, won't be working, and really want to see more of my country? Not good. ;)

Wow, so it's been quite a week. This sounds insane, but my stomach is still on the fritz. Just really grumpy. I can eat normally and am starting to crave food again, but when I do eat, there are consequences. So it's still basically breads and bananas for me at the moment. Went to the doc here 3 times now so i think I'm OK for meds, etc. Taking it baby steps at a time.

School is back open this week, as well, and the swine flu frenzy has also cooled down. One of my friends from home mentioned how it's so surreal that I'm in the middle of all this influenza epidemic craziness, while it seems so removed when you see it on the news. I know what she means, but it's also a little removed and funny when you're in the middle of it all.  The media depictions of life here make it seem surreal while life continues as normal...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home