Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Minneapolis just got 15 Inches of Snow & Gore Accepts the Peace Prize in Oslo today...

... but things are still pretty quite and normal in Akashi. Just wanted to add an update since I've been slow with them lately.

I continue to stare at the notebooks, but now that I have submitted grades, I have some time before the stacks I have are due (next assignment is about my students' "dream vacation"... most say Disneyland or places in Tokyo, but there are some interesting reads).

Kel and I are also working on our upcoming vacation, which is approaching very quickly. I'm sure I've mentioned it, but I am traveling with Kelly again (my Trini friend; did Thailand last year and going to India and Laos this year). We're spending three days in Taipei, Taiwan next week as part of an extended layover on the way to India. Ironically, we discovered via Facebook that my friend Hong, another English teach in Fukuoka, Japan (Kyushu - more south...) whom Brianne and I randomly shared a room with at the temple stay in Korea last year, has about the same travel itinerary as us. She's a fun girl and it seems like we're like-minded about travel plans (we're going to a toilet bowl restaurant she found... yes, everything is served out of mini toilets... sort of wacky and exciting), so I am looking forward to exploring together. The Nepal portion of the trip is still a huge question mark (wanted to do the Everest Base camp, but the trek might take too long), as is where we will be for New Years (biggest celebrations are in Goa)... but no matter what, we're going to India!! How can I complain?!

I am going to log off, but if you get some time, check out the footage from Oslo of the Peace Prize ceremony or read Gore's (well-received) speech, below. Cheers!

Gore's Speech: http://nobelpeaceprize.org/eng_lect_2007c.html
More information on the Nobel Peace Prize available at: www.nobelpeaceprize.org/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home