Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Saying Goodbye

When the new school year started in April and a handfull of teachers (including the principal, whom I really liked) and my third year students left school, everything from our staffroom seating arrangements to my class schedule (and my structured little life as I knew it) changed. I was definately a bit sad and wasn't very comfortable with the transition, but it was the people changes that hit me the hardest. Then in August, when Jane and Ben, two of my good friends and "senpai" (sort of mentor-figures; a helper-role in Japanese culture) said their goodbyes and moved home, I was once again utterly gutted. Therefore, when the next wave of goodbyes came this week... I tried to brace myself and wasn't looking forward to it. Miraculously, however, I think I am finally getting used to the changes...

Instead of Japanese classes on Monday, we had a potluck Goodbye party for our friend Vaughn who's internship is ending and will be leaving Japan. I might have mentioned him before, but Vaughn is an American student who has been here for about 6 months. He and Clayton hang out a lot and he was a good running partner for me this summer when I needed someone else to motivate me to get out in the awful heat. Six months abroad is not always that long of a time, but he's a nice guy and has become a part of our local expat community and circles.

Vaughn and I went for a littel run after work and then headed to the community center in Harimacho to meet up with the rest of the party. As usual, I made a salad and most people brought sushi or sandwiches. It was pretty much your normal potluck here, but one guy did bring a huge veggie platter with dip (pretty much made my day) and 藤田先生 brought her takoyaki (fried octopus ball) grill and made a few fresh batches of takoyaki for us. As is customary with these kinds of parties, the student who has studied the longest (or the highest rank...) gave the main toast (can't drink before the toast) and then we were all asked to say something to Vaugn. Then Vaughn gave a short speech, first in Japanese and then in English, about his expectations of coming to Japan. He talked about how he didn't consider a 6 month stint abroad long enough to really form real friendships, but how wrong he was and how much he has learned about life since he came.

To be honest, it was one of the best farewell speeches I have ever heard. Vaughn wasn't the only one almost in tears as I looked around the room. I was definately moved by it, but at the saem time, I've come to realize the nature of this situation is temporary and Vaughn is going back to good things, so it's not like we should be so sad. We're just going to miss him. As Vaughn said, "we'll always be able to message Facebook" but I guess what trips me up the most is the change in routine (hmm, like the stuff you know in a country where there is a lot you probably don't know?)

After the little dinner, we all went back to someone's house and played Wii for a while. It was actually my first time playing (pretty much peaked at the original Mario Bros.), but a good night. I think the next round of Sayonara parties will be when I am leaving! Weird!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home