Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Studying to Fail the JLPT (only kidding!!...)

So I went to Japanese class last night and did some Level 3 JLPT practice tests. I am really slow at the reading section and don’t know all of the vocabulary, but I got all the questions right (after working with my teacher on the words I didn’t know). I am not sure I can pass this thing, but the test has become so standardized (or maybe it is in Japanese fashion) that you could probably pass it if you devoted a long time to it and started really early. Actually, I know people who are studying now for next year’s test now.
I still want to learn as much Japanese as I can, find it very interesting and I am studying the practice books, but I have to admit that I don’t get the same stimulation from this language that I have from other languages. I love Japan, but maybe Japanese is just not my “thing.” I know a lot of people who go gaga about all-things-Japanese (including the language). I can relate, but not to the full extent with Japanese. I know I will leave here having learnt a LOT and really have gained a different worldview compared to where I was before I came (gaining more perspective on the everyday lifestyles of people in different areas of the world, not just my own culture and Scandinavia). I am happy with that. Just wondering if I should have signed up for Level 4.

Oh well. Just gonna take the higher Level and see what happens. Just don’t be surprised if you never see my score posted, tho ;)

By the way, testing period has begun. I finally broke rank with the Japan Inc. dress code and brought a winter coat to wear in school today. I almost froze my arse off doing interview tests in the hallway yesterday. It's colder inside than outside, dude... might bring mittons tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home