Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, November 16, 2007

On the topic of fashion...

My friend Lena recently decided that she was going to take advantage of the fashion freedom in this country and rock out the Japanese style for a while. Her outfits have been cute, but it's also kind of funny because she is Korean-American (similar ethnic heritage as Japanese) and plays this little game where she tries to blend into a crowd (with her outfits) and see if we spot her. I am sure I could still find her, but our friend Jim was baffled by the change... so funny.

Anyways, I decided to take a cue from Lena and start playing around with my wardrobe a little more this week. I wore bright blue tights with a short black skirt, black boots, cropped black jacket and matching blue headband to Sannomiya last night. It felt strange wearing the outfit at first, but I soon realized I, too, fit right in (well, relatively speaking... the clothes, anyways). I don't spend a ton of time getting ready in the morning, but when I picked out my outfit this today, I decided to veer in the same direction and chose to wear something pretty Japanesey.

Didn't think much of it on the way to school, but it's only third period right now and so far I've two teachers tell me that I look really good (one yelling across about 20 desks... not embarassing at all...) and I walked into class to a group of girls huddling around, whispering and looking at me. When class started they had the Japanese teacher tell me I looked really good and a lot cuter than usual today. Oh Japan.

I swear I don't look any different other than the fact that I put my outfit together n a more J-esque style for once (straight out of my mostly Gap-esque closet). Another friend got up late earlier in the week so she threw her hair in pigtails (very Japanese style)... was the most popular girl in school for the day. Proof that kawaii reigns supreme in this country and that it's the little things that make the biggest difference. I am sort of finding this hilarious...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home