Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Staff Meeting

Wow, interesting staff meeting today. We only have them once a month, but I guess there was a lot to talk about.

First of all, it was formally announced that they are cutting almost a third of the ALTs (government-sponsored foreign teachers of English) in my prefecture. We knew the numbers were going down, but they finally confirmed the rumors and added an exact number to boot. A few heads whipped over to look at me when our principal read the article, but I wasn’t really surprised to hear the news (just the volume of the cuts). Either way, I’m safe. I think it’s the people who get moved to different schools or have multiple ALTs (um, or are not leaving in the next year) that will be mostly affected... and probably only then when they go to re-contract.

The grading scandal at Kelly’s school also came up and there was some substantial discussion afterwards. The school has one of the best tennis programs in the country, so I guess a lot of people have been worried about what will happen to the tennis program now that the tennis coach (well, and the students involved... tennis players) are being reprimanded. The school has one of the strongest international (or English) programs in the prefecture, but I know it doesn’t get as much money as it should. Maybe they will re-channel funds? I probably shouldn’t be discussing all of the details, but I will say that the principal said this was the first time we’ve had this sort of scandal in the prefecture (the coach changed his players’ scores on university entrance exams) and everyone seemed sincerely shocked.

The last thing I want to mention is Open High School (probably because it was the last thing I was paying full attention to... a lot doesn’t affect me and goes over my head with the Japanese at our big staff meetings so I have started to bring other things to do and only perk up when something pertinent comes up). We got an overview of the Student Questionnaire responses and saw who actually came (from what school)... English came out well on the report cards. I didn’t mention it last week, but I taught a class both days, right? Our first day went well and the second day of “model” classes... oh man, the second day. Not so good. Let’s just say the game we planned bombed and we had to play Simon Says with 27 junior high kids we didn't know for the last 15 minutes. I was pretty sick and very low on energy at the time (actually came in late because I was vomiting in the morning), so I gave them pretty much 150% of what I had, and then got into a fight with my fellow teacher afterwards who was mad about the game. I was upset about the lesson, too, but when we got the student reviews, back... surprise, suprise, we had full points from every student but one. Anyways, the teacher was pretty stern/harsh when we talked after the class (attacking me personally when I was controlling all these kids on zero gas) and we didn’t talk for two days afterwards. She left me a note after going through the student reviews and realizing they were good (saying “all’s well that ends well”), but I wasn't really happy with it until I got a verbal apology this week. I was particularly mad about the fight because I shouldn’t have been at work in the first place, but had only come into work because of Open High School (and my 4 classes in the morning)... but it was good to see positive information (and a good representation of the English department) on paper during today’s meeting. Talk about i-n-t-e-n-s-e. Not the norm, but the teacher and I had a little talk and I hope this is not going to happen again. I swear, it's either no confrontation or head on in this country.

Despite the drama (and notices at the staff meeting), still love my school and it’s strange to hear about things going on at other schools. Kelly's school is one issue in itself, but the school that had the problems with bricks last week opened to TWELVE more broken windows today, for example. The only big changes at my school recently have been new flowers in the garden (which was dually noted by me when the gardener gave me a bouquet of the ones being replaced to take home... so sweet!). There are also little things, like I got another confession from a male student telling me he loved me in journals today (don't take it personally, but it's cute when that happens and I'm definately back in the thick of notebooks... only about 150 to go before the next assignment is due...). Another teacher also told me today that one of my I.S. students raised her hand in a class to answer a question today. She just did it by instinct, but it’s not a tyical Japanese reaction, so it came off as strange in the class (and the girl was embarrased)... but it’s a sign that we are having an effect on these kids (yay!).

Anyways, I have to get out of here and get to the stupid impound lot to pick up my bike before it closes (and then to the doc...grr), but for some reason I am feeling better walking out of here than I did walking in.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home