Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Giving Birth In Japan

I went to Sannomiya to meet up with the girls for a girl's night and to celebrate Heather's birthday (she turned 26 last Sunday; glad to have someone else in the same club...). We were going to go to the new Mexican place in the Mint Building, but instead ended up sitting and talking over a good meal and glasses of wine at a steak restaraunt.
Somewhere in the middle of dinner, we got on the topic of visiting doctors and I mentioned something that I had heard the day before about Japanese women traditionally giving birth alone (or at least knowing how). According to my Japanese friend, before the war it was common for Japanese women to give birth by themselves. Instead of being in a bed, they would assume a squating position (like the "asian squat") and hold on to ropes hanging from the ceiling to support themselves while they went through labor. Ok, I asked my friend how they would be able to do this for such a long time ('cause you know labor can last hours), but she said the position was easier to hold because the women had stronger muscles from the squatters (toilets). Hmm. Anyways, the woman giving birth would hold a razor in her mouth, and use it to cut the umbilical cord once the baby had been born... and that was it. They apparently used to do it all the time.
I was pretty shocked to hear this story, but I think there might actually be some truth to it (at least as part of old customs from all around Asia). I haven't read the book (だめ with reading as of late...), but the girls told me they describe the same situation in The Good Earth.

I wanted to find out more about the birth process here, but I wasn't able to find much about giving birth alone and the ropes. I did, however, find the following article about modern procedures in Japan and thought I would share. It has a negative vibe, but I think a lot what the author found disturbing in her experience (with having children in Japan) is pretty typical of all medical experiences in this country. The author might have done more research to help lesson the culture shock, but I would argue it's definately cultural, especially the part about doctors talking over your head and can be a little shocking to westerners at first. I also won't get onto the topic of "women doctors" on here (to spare the few guys that might peek at this thing), but the part about the curtain from the waist down (so they can't see your face) and not having a private room... also true.

Anyways, here's the article: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/rc20021020a2.html. I think I'm also going to check out The Good Earth one of these days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home