Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Back with a Blast - the Weekend Review

I know I’ve been missing for a bit, but things have been good.

Last week was another three-day weekend (holiday on Friday). I decided to stay in town to study for the upcoming Japanese test, even though I have pretty much given up any serious application to passing that thing... but yeah. That and applications for next year are the two big things on my plate right now.

Update on Apps and My Silly Mistake (otherwise known as
signing up for the JLPT)
Speaking of apps.... wow is time flying. Things are going well and I have two submissions out, but I just went back and re-read my first essay. Hated it. Millions of changes (from me, not the proof-readers), but the essay is at least now far better for whoever reads it at the schools I apply to here on out. I just hope the first one wasn’t too low-grade (quality-wise) to get me into where I want to go. Whatever I “lost” earlier that prohibited me from doing my best on those suckers is back, but it is hopefully not too late. I just contacted a professor at Boston College that I really want to work for (I read one recently published article by this guy and he sounds amazing.... In addition to the academic prowess, he just released a CD of Bob Dylan covers... is that a sign or what?). Waiting to hear back from him, but excited about future prospects.
The studying for the JLPT is in the gutter. I might be able to pass the test, but I am not going to blow it out of the water, which kind of bothers me. I should have studied more... but now that I haven't... I am just kind wafting. I was considering skipping town next week to use this free bus ticket I have to go to Toks (Tokyo), thereby missing the test and any hoopla surrounding it... but I have come to my senses and am just going to sit it and do the best I can.
If anything, I can use it as a benchmark... and hey, maybe it will be better than I thought. The listening is OK (probably because I listen to Japanese all day at work, but don’t practice it much), but my writing (and kanji) are awful. I went for a walk with a friend this weekend and he was reading the signs in the park. Yeah, I knew some of the kanji, but the friend knew all of them. Shows what happens when you study more... think I am going to get on that when the apps are completely in and the test is over... better late then never. I also think I found a one-on-one tutor, which will help.

On the subject of why Japanese is important, though... I am not sure if I should admit to this, but I am sort of toying with the idea of staying here longer. Not sure if that is a dangerous direction to go in... but yeah. Hmm.

Birthday Bash in Osaka, Kyoto Hike and Temple Books... Hoorah
So besides lamenting over how much better my Japanese could be (which you can always do... but at least I don't lose any sleep over) I did do some cool stuff over the long weekend to take advantage of the extra day off.
On Thursday night, I stayed late at school to help Okubo practice for the upcoming speech contest (he did really well, but no cigar...) and then accompanied Kelly to a "house party" in 大国所, Osaka. Remember that house parties, cocktail parties, etc. are sort of a rarity in Japan with such limited space... so I was stoked (even though I was wiped). Kel and I have a pretty great group of friends, both expat and Japanese, that live in Osaka but we definately don't see them enough. They are mostly people we met through Jane, who met them through a friend named Evan, who went to uni with them in Osaka, so it's a pretty big group and a lot of fun. We had only just met the guy hosting the party at Rumiko’s birthday a few weeks ago, but he had an awesome apartment and was really fun. The crowd was mostly foreigners or very internationally-minded Japanese folks, many of which worked at the different going-out spots I have frequented. I talked to a Canadian girl for a while and then to a German boy about German music (unfortunately for him practicing my awful German skills... ich habe alles vergessen!). Anyways, the convos made for some stories; those peeps are definitely living a different lifestyle than us out here in the 'burbs... but I wouldn't mind spending even more time in their 'hood. More of an artsy, music crowd; reminded me of our old house parties at the Hvite Slottet in Minneapolis. It was just a little more packed than it would be at home for the reason listed above.
On Friday, I also took advantage of some of the time off by heading to Kyoto with about ten other people to hike Mt. Hiei (or Hieizan), one of the holy mountains in the this area. The weather was perfect, it was a good hike and there was a large temple at the top (the whole mountain is considered a temple, actually, known as Hieizan Enryakuji, and was used as a military point during the Hiei Period). I’ll put more info in a separate post (with pics). I will, however, tell you about something I discovered (somehow incredibly late in the game) the concept of temple books while I was at the top of the mountain and got my very first stamp. A temple book is sort of like an autograph book, but with stamps from the monks at all the temples you go to. Man, had I only known about these earlier... oh well, I guess it’s good that I got one now. It will make a good conversation piece when I have to “explain Japan” to people at home someday. Oh, and the all-you-can-eat Indian restaraunt discovery afterwards was possibly the best way ever to cap it off.
Saturday was pretty low key; just went for a nice walk in Amagasaki to see the leaves (and discovered a rose garden like the one near Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis!!) and then met the girls and Shag in Kobe at night. Went running on Sunday (back to training after a long lapse while I was sick) and to an amazing chicken and ribs party at Shags house in Motomachi. It can be tough at times to live in another country, but I really am grateful for all the great things and people in this country. And omg the food was good this weekend!

Anyways, I got I should get going. It’s Monday and I have a lot to do (tests to write, apps to send, Japanese to study... that sort of thing). Hope you are doing well, and more soon! xo, bren

ps – I have internet at home again now (yes, three-and-a-half weeks later!). It turned out to be my computer, not the modem, that was the issue. Thankfully, AppleCare fixed it fast enough once I had identified the prob. I still stand by my MacBook, but I have the worst luck sometimes. I have definately been through a lot of issues with that thing. At least AppleCare rocks (and they will pick up and drop off your computer, free of charge, anywhere in Japan so it’s easy to fix). Aurgh... oh well. Yay for internet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home