Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Busy Bee Learns the Secret to Life?

Work has been super busy lately. Friday was another late night at school. We are working on recording tracks for the upcoming listening tests, but I'm getting really tired from all the running around.

I definately cannot complain about my work schedule, but I have had some later days with everything going on: filming student projects after school (2の1 school exchange...they're doing awesome!), training my student for the speech contest, correcting about 300 notebooks (why do I make them all write so much?!), writing all my finals and teaching regular classes...which now have special lesson plans (Nozaki 先生 and I baked bread with Eigo Hyogen on Friday... that one was all her though).

Ay ay ay...

I was recently reading something about the famous Japanese director Kurosawa Akira, who Speilberg has called"the Shakespeare of our time." I've been meaning to get to watching his films while I am here, but one of the traits that Akira was most famous for was showing that living for others is the secret to a good, humanistic life. In essence that living for the happiness of others makes our life meaningful and beautiful.

You know, I think I have to agree with that (and is probably why I want to go into international or immigration law), but it's hard to lose perspective of the big picture on the day-to-day sometimes. I have been getting some more interesting notebooks entries recently (one of my kids wants to go to the Naadam Festival, another taught me about hieroglyphics and I printed out and gave her a cartouche with her name on it), but I am overall pretty happy. It's a good reminder of that :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home