Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Asbestos in Japan is a Big Problem

So you've heard of Asbestos and know it's bad... but do you know why it's bad or what it is? For those of you who might know the term, but not the details, Asbestos is a fibrous mineral that is known for causing certain kinds of lung cancer. Yes, it was released last week that the World Health Organization is also going to announce that graveyard shifts (or nocturnal-like behaviour) also has a strong correlation with and/or causes cancer (something to do with the fake lighting and messed up body rythms?), but I would take the Asbestos thing a little more seriously. In the past, Asbestos was a popular building material and was used in the construction of most buildings (especially schools) built during a certain timeframe. Thankfully, most schools and businesses have now taken measures to remove any Asbestos from their buildings.

Oh wait, but that is in America. Japan... Japan is a different story.

Last year, I told you my colleague revealed to me that we still have Asbestos under the main stairwells in the building I work in ("but as long as it's behind the concrete, you'll be fine"). Today I read an article in the Japan Times that reported about a recent government survey. The survey found that one out of every six small private business facilities in Japan has areas where asbestos remains exposed to the air, a figure they anticipate to be a grosse underestimate of the real problem. I don't think it's just me (or, rather, the American in me) when I say that is very concerning, especially given the fact that I work in a public institution (kids don't have a choice about being here) and we are aware of the health risks involved. It's not quite as extreme as, say, letting a tabacco company sponser my English Club outings, but it's the same principle. Not OK.

I am definately a little uncomfortable with such a high figure, but honestly a little surprised, too, that people don't react more boldy and do something to change the situation. This is especially true considering things like the recently intense focus on the declining population in Japan (lung cancer will make the issue bigger), the dangers and fears of cancer itself and the obviously huge strains higher cancer rates would put on the national healthcare system. My hope is that this government survey marks the beginning of a trend towards taking further action.

Anyways, point of interest for the day. More info here:http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20071206a5.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home