Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Being the Missing Communication Link

I was sitting at my desk correcting midterms this morning, when my coworker came over to me to talk about the volleyball game this afternoon. Apparently, I was on the roster to play today... although I had no idea we had a staff game!

I have asked many times when the students have games so I can cheer them on, since the students literally practice 6 days a week ALL YEAR but rarely get to compete. So when someone told me there was a game, I assumed they meant we were going to watch the kids... not PLAY!

I luckily had a pair of workout pants in my locker and was abe to join the team. It was a fun, but unexpected plan. Our staff games are always really funny, because they are just for fun during times when there are no classes but seem so official. Everyone takes team-stretching to the extreme beforehand (led by the physical education teachers), people get pretty vocal during the game and throw a lot of high-fives every victory and there is always an opening and closing speech by the vice principal. At the game, we stand in two lines (as a team) and bow together to thank each other for the game at the prize ceremony.

Once again, my team won!

Here is a pic of my with my trophies when I got home after the game.
White label premium goodness!
It still seems strange to be given these by the head of staff at a public school.


Additionally, it was probably a good thing most of the staff was in the gymnasium, playing all afternoon, because they turned off the electricity for a few hours -- the other announcement I somehow missed hearing until it happened! I understood that we weren't supposed to use our computers, but when I found out it was because the electricity (including the lights and internet) was going to be off, I thought it was a little strange. I am not sure what they were testing for or doing that required them pulling the big plug, but my friend said they did the same thing at her school a few weeks ago. I just can't see them doing that during the day at an American school and it was just amusing to walk past the office and see everyone talking because they didn't have enough sunlight to do their work.

Anyways, it was good to move around a bit and spend time with my coworkers. I'm off to enjoy my prize, so cheers for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home