Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, May 25, 2007

The Rainy Season Begins

So I showed up to school with wet hair today, this time because I was drenched (by rain) on the way to school.* Oh my gosh, this rainy season business might be an issue. I was a little grumpy (and frumpy?!) so I layed low and was quiet most of the morning. Then one of the English teachers approached me about the tests I corrected yesterday...

It turns out we found a pretty big grammatical error in the textbook... right after the students were tested on it. Every time I make mass corrections (like for notebooks & tests), I keep a log of common mistakes the students make. When I am finished, I compile my notes into sort of a summary for the teachers and students, so they can learn from each other's mistakes and understand why I changed them (why they are right/wrong). On the midterm, there was one sentence that pretty much every student 'misworded', so I made the correction and took note of it. Today, however, the teacher was going over my notes and realized the error. The students had learned the structure straight out of the textbook (which was wrong). Crap. The teacher and I spent some time confirming that the grammar was incorrect, and it was an error, before figuring out the best way to explain the correct usage. I sometimes see wording that sounds a little akward in textbooks here (no full-on Engrish, however), but this was the first actual mistake I have encountered. And then to test on it! Oops...not good. It makes the students question the book, and - I think - makes us look kinda bad.

I only have two classes today, which I am happy to have, but the first one didn't go so well, either. The kids were really surly and had trouble keeping focus. One of the 'bad kids' (that I actually really like) and his friend were told to leave the room in the middle of the lesson because they were causing such a disruption. The class was tame after they were yelled at, but the discipline cut into the lesson plan and we had to improvise. The kids (and their homeroom teacher) apologized to me later on, but I don't completely blame them. I think scheduling a normal day of classes after four days of testing might have something to do with the unrest - probably not the most ideal. I was glad to play a game with the 2nd year expressions class (to give 'em a little break), but they too seemed exhausted.

I wrote a huge blog yesterday about the whole week, which disappeared, so I think I am going to join suite with the students and call it a day.

Too bad we can't all take a field trip to the spa! It sounds like I'm not the only person that needs it (this coming from the girl who didn't have classes this week...although I'll have to re-write about that later). Ahh, I can't wait for girl's night!


*This reminds me of a funny (but off-topic) wet-hair story:
Back when I was still working at Target Hqtrs, I was running late one day and came into the office in my suit and wet hair! Not really appropriate for a business prof. dress code environment, but I thought I could sneak into my cube and just let my hair dry wavy. Well, I made it into the building and got on the elevator and - gulp - it's just me and my director for the long ride up (one of the people you really don't want to be sloppy around). We chat a bit and then, suddenly, she asks me, "is it raining outside?" OK, we both know it's sunny and warm. So I reply,"No, I'm going for the bohemian look so I have to wear my hair wet or it just doesn't work." Hey, when you work in retail and a trend is hot, people understand what you go through to get the look. And so did the director. The topic changed to hair products, of all things (also not typical for a director - but maybe why I liked mine so much...).
Anyways, I thought it made for a good story. Who knew all the the time I have 'wasted' reading fashion magazines over the years really did do me some good... lucky save!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger Gunnar said…

    That is a funny elevator story! I can't believe she bought that answer :)

    Also, thanks for teaching me a new word, but there is no way you could ever be frumpy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home