Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Long Day

I’ve been in a sour mood today. I was carrying my backpack, laptop bag AND a big paper bag full of food (that I had to buy) for a class, when the handle ripped on the way to school. Then it started to rain. I didn't even want to deal with the last 10-minute walk from the station to my school, so I totally took a cab (which also cost more than it used to cost to get from Uptown to downtown Minneapolis). I think the students and teachers that saw me pull up in the cab thought it was pretty strange, but by that point, I didn't even care. I just held up the broke handle on the big, paper bag and walked in.
Just when you think you've got this whole Japan thing down....
I guess this whole week has been a little off. I think I am still lacking a bit of sleep, but at least I have toned down my schedule. We have midterms next week, which means no classes. I am going out to lunch with some people one day, playing in a staff softball game the next (let’s hope they’re competitive) and we have a “ladies lunch” for all the female teachers on Wednesday, which I am excited about. Apparently, they are common here, but I haven’t been to one yet. And I didn’t know until getting the invitation that we have a “ladies room” (for women dealing with cramps, pregnancy, etc) in the building – how impressive.I am hoping tonight will brighten things up. One of my girlfriends is hosting a poker and dinner party with bagel sandwiches. I’m not the biggest poker shark and it’s funny to be meeting on a Thursday, but it’ll be a nice little break. Tomorrow is another enkai (work party), this time for my department. Yowzas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home